PDA

View Full Version : Gitzo Tripods FILLING WITH WATER

Jim Fenton
01-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Perhaps other manufacturers tripods fill with water as well :confused:

Anyway...I sold my 1325 last year and bought the new (at the time) Carbon 6X GT5540 LS last February from Kirk.

Rugged.....a pain in the butt cause there are more sections than I was used to and I even closed my right ear in it one day and needed stitches (stop laughing!).

Now...my issue is that I shoot standing in the water a lot and many times it's salt water. The minute the water depth gets above the first locking mechanism, all of the legs fill with water. When you stick it up on your shoulder to move, water squishes out of the joints and makes a mess. It's amazing how darn heavy these things get (relatively speaking) when they fill up with water as well.

I end up having to take the leg sections apart almost weekly in the summer.

Is this considered to be normal? (I'm not referring to closing your ear in the tripod leg when you're in a hurry and bent over).

Rod Wiley
01-04-2008, 10:51 AM
It's funny you should ask about salt water inside tripods. Saltwater probably destroys more expensive tripods than any other hazard. I've been working with the BPN staff and we are in the finial stages of development of the Dry protective sleeve system. James and the Forns have been field testing them for us.They are light weight sleeves that slip over your tripod legs and keep them from getting wet and will eliminate clean up at the end of a shoot. They will be make available here on the BPN site very soon. Rod Wiley

www.rjwileyphoto.com (http://www.rjwileyphoto.com)
www.adayintheswamp.com (http://www.adayintheswamp.com)

Jim Fenton
01-04-2008, 01:04 PM
I sent you an email a short while ago.

Thanks,

Jim Fenton

Eric Wikander
01-04-2008, 08:32 PM
I have to tag along for these... thanks for asking!

Jack Horton
01-05-2008, 10:00 AM
Drill very small (smallest drill bit you have, needle size) drain hole(s) at the bottom of the tripod legs. If in saltwater always rinse with fresh when done.

--Jack

James Shadle
01-05-2008, 12:21 PM
Rod,
I hope to get wet this weekend and try the lastest version.

The "Dry Pods" have really cut down, to cut out, my tripod repair and cleaning times.

James

Rocky Sharwell
01-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Do the dry pods allow you to adjust the tripod legs?

JH Tugs
01-05-2008, 04:08 PM
The "Dry Pods" have really cut down, to cut out, my tripod repair and cleaning times.

James

"DryPods"? *lol*... Now, that is a great name :-)

George DeCamp
01-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Very cool idea Rod!!!

Rod Wiley
01-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Yes the drypods simply slip over your tripod legs and fasten on with velcro, you can make adjustments as you always do.

Del Cockroft
01-09-2008, 08:13 AM
Great idea!!!! Please let us know when they are available:)

Nathan Lovas
02-09-2008, 02:29 PM
definitely would like to know when these are available...

George DeCamp
02-09-2008, 04:51 PM
Just tried one yesterday while out on James Shadles boat. They worked like a Charm on my Gitzo 3530. Bone dry when I took them off and I was up to my you know what in water. :eek:

Jan Wegener
02-09-2008, 09:56 PM
hmmm I have the same problem with my 1325, but I am not even able to move the legs anymore....and taking it apart and cleaning doesn't help anymore....

This Pacific Water kills everything....

Would be also really interested in this DryPod.....When I buy a new one, I would like to have it longer without problems than the 1325...
This is a real pain in the a.. every time I use it now.

Alfred Forns
02-09-2008, 10:47 PM
The Dry Pods are the only realistic solution for keeping the tripod in working condition Salt water and sand take a beating I have never been able to get my tripod to original working condition after a visit to the beach

Rod It think the problem with leaking was more due to the tripod itself than the Dry Pods having a problem My Gitzo 6X has lost its screw caps on the feet As the tripod hits a rock or anything like it Seems it is very easy to cut Withe those things in pace the device should work fine

I know the first times I used it at Little Estero there was zero problem By the time I made it to San Diego the caps had fallen off and I got water in one leg btw Robert O'toole did not have a problem and has had his a few times He came up with the original observation

Can't wait for them to be available Will be getting a few It is a much cheaper alternative than buying a second tripod for beach usage only (what I was doing up to now_

Rod Wiley
02-09-2008, 11:04 PM
Thanks Al, we're in the final stages of testing them right now. I've got a company in MN thats making up a special bend of material for the Drypods right now. We've added a new boot to the base that will stop the tripod from rubbing and so far all the tests have been very positive indeed. Many thanks to all you guys that have tested them for me. They should be ready to go in the next two weeks or so. James was going to ask all the guys to measure the foot on their tripods to see what the diameters were so that we can order the extra strong caps that will fit the majority of tripods.That would be the widest part of the rubber foot. Al do you know if he did yet? Thanks again Rod

John T. Watson
02-10-2008, 09:46 PM
You can count me as a interested customer. I'm going to SW Florida in April and would love to have one then.

John

Rod Wiley
02-11-2008, 08:50 PM
John we should be up and running by then