PDA

View Full Version : INDY PHOTO OPS??

Don Hamilton Jr.
09-15-2010, 07:22 AM
Good morning heading to indy for business, and will have some spare time on my hands, anyone have any suggestions on wildlife, or photo ops in indy, i'll have a rental car, and also will drive to muncie:2eyes2: friday evening. Thks don

AJ Witt
09-15-2010, 11:15 AM
My advice is don't go! It's Indiana after all! I can say this because I am originally from there.

There's life in Indiana, not so sure about WILD-life...lots of cattle, goats, sheep and horses on the farms. If I were you, I would take some back roads to Muncie and try to find some old barns...there are LOTS of them up in that neck of the woods. If you are lucky, you may even find some old rusted out cars / tractors on the farms too.

Don Hamilton Jr.
09-15-2010, 11:28 AM
:) YEAP I KNEW IT, there goes another weekend i could be photographing something awesome! Okay, so there's the challenge, i need to find something way cool.... i'll try fellows... like maybe a macro ear of corn!
Don

Chris Ober
09-15-2010, 04:35 PM
Any of these gardens worth visiting?
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/gardens_visit.html

Julie Brown
09-15-2010, 09:30 PM
Hi Don,

The links that Chris provided are all good, but a lot of the flowers are done blooming. We had a very hot and dry August. One place that you might check out is Eagle Creek Park & Reservoir ($5 entry fee) on the northwest side of the city. I was there on Labor Day and saw cormorants, a green heron, GBH, gulls, American Coot, ducks, and geese. Last month I saw an eagle here. It is also a stopover for migrants, although I do not know when that starts. Two places that I visit frequently are Fort Harrison State Park (designated as an important bird area) on the suburban north side, and Central Park, a city park at 111th street and Westfield Blvd, which has a marsh with egrets and BGH. The 100 Acre Wood on the grounds of the Indianapolis Art Museum (no entrance fee) is another nice place. Christy Woods on the campus of Ball State University in Muncie is good too. Hope this helps!:D

Don Hamilton Jr.
09-15-2010, 09:51 PM
Hey thks so much, all great ideas! Hey are you around on friday afternoon, maybe we could hook up and capture a few images! :)
Regards:
don

Don Thompson
09-16-2010, 05:12 AM
I agree with Eagle Creek Park. Approximately 5,200 acres. I will most likely be available Friday morning if you wanted to meet at Eagle Creek Park.

http://eaglecreekpark.org/index.htm

Nathan Gardner
09-19-2010, 07:11 PM
Muscatatuck National Wildlife Refuge is at exit 50 on I-65. It about an hour south of Indy. Its a fun place to visit. Great birding site and known for Wood Ducks although I didn't see any when I went last week, but I also didn't look very hard.