PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Bovver Boys

Hilary Hann
09-15-2010, 03:57 AM
Named after the '60s anti social thugs (I'm much too young to remember them ;) ).
I'm trying to get a textured effect with close ups of animals, rather than just the environmental images I've been doing and also tried to change the dark tones a little. I don't think I've got what I'm looking for yet, but thought I would post for any comments as I struggle with technique.
I've used 2 different texture layers at varying blend modes and opacity and then used Nik Silver filters over the top at 65% opacity to desat a bit more. I was trying to create a rough look to the buffaloes with a bit of attitude.

denise ippolito
09-15-2010, 07:48 AM
Hilary, I like it. The composition is nice. It seems a bit tight but that may be what you were after. The cooler color tones work well w/ the black IMO.:)

Christopher Miller
09-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Looks very nice, Hilary. The rough, desaturated look goes very well with the buffalo. I like the look they gave you, though it would have been nice if there was more separation between the two on the left. I might open up the blacks a bit more, especially around the eyes. Keep up the experimenting! :)

Hilary Hann
09-15-2010, 03:30 PM
Thank you Denise & Christopher. You echo concerns I have. I had removes 3 buffs to get a reasonable comp but was stumped by that one in the background. I will have another look at it.

Steve Adkins
09-15-2010, 08:52 PM
Love the ATTITUDE and the colors and texture. I think you are on to something wonderful. Great feel to this style!
There is something drawing my eye to the chest area of the right bull. Seems a little light or maybe just the texture contrast... ? or could just be me :)

Hilary Hann
09-15-2010, 09:51 PM
Steve, I made the chest of the buffalo slightly opaque to let through some texture as he was a dark black blob. Thank you for your encouraging comments, much appreciated.