PDA

View Full Version : Skipper

Christopher Miller
09-14-2010, 07:53 PM
This is a skipper butterfly that I photographed last year. I posted a texturized version of this image in OOTB here (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?71791-Skipper).

Olympus SP-550 UZ
f5 @ 1/100, ISO 100, -0.7 EV
Aperture priority mode, pattern metering, cloudy WB
Processed in PS CS2; cropped, curves adjustments, and a little cloning to clean up a few spots in the BG

Jim Bridges
09-15-2010, 07:10 AM
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:RelyOnVML/> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> I like both versions you posted and there is nice detail on the face of this one. I think this my be a European Skipper, but don't hold me to the fire on the ID... I could be wrong. These little guys are fun to chase around...:)

Bob Miller
09-15-2010, 01:07 PM
Chris....nice shot with lots of detail and lovely bg. You might consider cropping a bit off the righthand side

Ken Childs
09-16-2010, 07:34 AM
Christopher, I like this a lot.
I agree with Bob that a slice off the right would help and maybe some selective sharpening on the lower parts of the abdomen and wings and the antennal clubs could take this one up a notch. :)

I think Jim's ID is a good one.

Roman Kurywczak
09-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Hey Christopher,
Great suggestions above on possible tweaks. I might opt for a bit more smoothing of the BG too.....but not a deal breaker and suggested tweaks will take this up a notch.

Christopher Miller
09-17-2010, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the comments and suggestions, everyone. I appreciate it. :)