PDA

View Full Version : Ready for Lift-off!

Jeff Dyck
09-13-2010, 11:15 PM
A bee in the thistles. Photographed handheld near my home in Dryden, Ontario. The background is the surface of a pond.

5DmarkII -- 70-200L / f2.8 IS (@125mm) + Extension Tube -- ISO800 -- f8.0 @ 1/800s

Julie Kenward
09-14-2010, 08:49 AM
Nicely done, Jeff! Even better than the wings at take off is the overall composition of the image. Nice diagonal line of the stem - then a counter balance of the thistle with the bee. I suggest possibly increasing the saturation just a bit more - I think you have some room there to give the image a little more "pop". Great focus on the front of the bee and the wing blur is just right IMO.

Roman Kurywczak
09-14-2010, 09:42 AM
Hey Jeff,
Nice job capturing the motion here! I agree with Jules assesment on the sat and contrast......so that small tweak will take this up a notch. There are two schoold on wings and motion......sharp and frozen (which I generally prefer on birds) and then the motion blur.......which IMO you did an excellent job with. Sometimes when you freeze the wings of insects they can look "fake" for some reason so I like the SS you chose to achieve the nice look.

Christopher Miller
09-14-2010, 05:06 PM
Excellent capture, Jeff! Perfect job capturing the bee's motion. Jules makes some good suggestions. Well done!

Daniel Cadieux
09-14-2010, 08:10 PM
Way cool image! Looks as if the bee is tryinig to carry the flower away but can't seem to lift off:D. The flower's pinks and the yellows of the bee are perfect candidates for the sponge tool (set to saturate at about 8% flow, brush set to 0% hardness). Love the wing blur and the pollen-covered face...tons of personality in this image!!