PDA

View Full Version : High Cotton

Judy Howle
09-13-2010, 10:30 PM
Cotton field in Lamar Co. Alabama. EOS 5D Mark II, f/16 @ 28 mm, 1/125, ISO 200.

I've never seen a field so clean, no weeds at all! I'm sure it's been picked by now as that was made in late August.

Jason Kinsey
09-14-2010, 06:48 AM
That is a clean field!!! Whereabouts in Lamar County?

Judy Howle
09-14-2010, 09:01 AM
On the Hwy to Vernon from Columbus, is it 17? I think it was in AL and not on MS Hwy 12 before we got to the AL line.

Roman Kurywczak
09-14-2010, 09:31 AM
Hi Judy,

I feel the light is hurting this image for many reasons. Because the FG has no real strong focal point.......the eye wanders around even though with the help of the title.....I know it is a cotton field. The sky also suffers for the same reason.......because it appears you had fantastic clouds, so a stronger angle on the light would give more depth to the fields and sky. Perhaps using the rows to make lines? Not sure if that was possible but very difficult to get a strong interest especially with the harsher light. I don't think I have ever seen a cotton field.......thought the plants would be taller!......so thanks for sharing that with us.

Judy Howle
09-14-2010, 11:11 AM
Well I mainly posted it because I was getting tired of posting sunsets ;) and I like it even though I realize it has no strong focal point and the light didn't help because it was mid-afternoon and hazy-overcast. I have another image that might work better visually that shows the rows. Should I post it here or wait and post it separately?
Thanks, Judy

Joe Senzatimore
09-14-2010, 11:21 AM
Might work as a single image HDR???? Perhaps a "painterly" feel. It has potential , aside from the light.

Judy Howle
09-14-2010, 12:24 PM
I can do that with Topaz or Pixel Bender but didn't think it was allowed to do too much "enhancing" for this forum.

Dave Mills
09-14-2010, 03:13 PM
Hi Judy, yes, if you apply filters or effects that are noticeably out of the realm of reality it should go in OOTB.
Agree with Roman that the harsh light is hurting the image. The use of a polariser(depending on the sun angle) or a GND might of helped to bring out more detail in the clouds.
This type of scene could also be worked as a vertical where the lines of cotton lead you to the house. Wouldn't know if I could get the right effect unless I was there...

Judy Howle
09-14-2010, 06:21 PM
Dave, yes I should use my polarizer more. I don't have a GND or ND but should probably get one. I didn't have much time there as we had a lot of miles to cover in one afternoon so I just took some shots from the pull-off right by the field.

I re-worked the image and pulled out more color and detail in the sky using Topaz Adjust and Topaz Detail and a curves adjustment on the sky.

Jason Kinsey
09-14-2010, 07:29 PM
I'm with the others on the light, Judy, but what about a lower perspective (I realize you may not be able to shoot this again). Perhaps looking just over the tops of the plants would be nice as well? Using the rows as leading lines might be tough as most fields are planted parallel to the road. Interesting image for sure!!

Judy Howle
09-14-2010, 10:08 PM
I do have one with a lower perspective. This one not planted parallel to the road.

Dave Mills
09-15-2010, 08:15 AM
Judy, the sky looks better defined in the repost....

Robert Amoruso
09-16-2010, 08:40 AM
I can do that with Topaz or Pixel Bender but didn't think it was allowed to do too much "enhancing" for this forum.

You can provide enhancement to the image. That does not dis-qualify it for posting here Judy.