PDA

View Full Version : Low Tide and Wet Butts

Scott Frye
09-13-2010, 03:55 PM
I am fairly new to Florida and shore photography. When shooting in low tide I often find my self standing on wet sand or in an an inch of water. This makes it difficult to go to the ground without getting wet making for a cold and wet bottom and an uncomfortable shooting session. I have thought of a couple ways to help out.

A walking shorts length wet suit -- not sure how I would hold up in the 90 degrees plus Florida heat with this rubber wet suit

Carry a folding stool -- I have a lot to manage now with camera, lens and tripod

I have tried a ground mat -- similar to the type of foam that you can buy at a sporting good store in the sleeping bag section. This mat is used as padding between the sleeping bag and the ground.

So, what are some tips for going to the ground in the wet sand or standing water of a low tide?

Joel Eade
09-13-2010, 04:19 PM
Boots and jeans with Gortex linings might work, would still be hot in summertime but would keep you dry in wet sand or very shallow water.

RichardLaBella
09-15-2010, 07:56 AM
Waders? You are going to get hot no matter what you put on.

Waders are the choice at Jamaica Bay where you end up laying down in muck & goose poop.

David Pugsley
09-15-2010, 11:06 AM
Personally, I say just get wet and sandy and enjoy your time outdoors. :) I often find myself in waist deep water or on my belly in wet sand/water. Once I get too caked with sand etc I just give myself a dunk in the gulf or whatever body of water I'm working. BTW, my attire consists of Keen closed-toe sandals, quick-dry gym shorts and a t-shirt. Easy. :)

Marina Scarr
09-18-2010, 11:48 AM
Hi Scott:

I understand your dilemna. I too live in sunny Florida and am constantly finding myself in sand & water. In the cold months, I use waders. However, the remainder of the year, I photograph in fishing/photography pants which are nylon. They dry extremely quickly, and the sand comes right off of them. Also you can buy them with zippers just above the knees so you can remove the lower portions to turn them into shorts and they are very easy to zip back. The best deal on these for me has been Bass Pro shops and you can get them in various colors. You can also get them at Columbia outlet on sale for under $30.

I have learned that if you stay down lower in the sand and water, you are more likely to make more pleasing images.

Good luck.

Marina

John Chardine
09-18-2010, 03:35 PM
I wear waders in Antarctica but the water is about -1° C so in a warmer climate you will be wet inside no matter what!

ann shiller
09-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Summetime - Wear a bathing suit so you can take a dip when you become too uncomfortable or so you can rinse off in a public beach shower if available. Thats what I do anyway. I always dress light for the heat. Have seen some people in camo's and vests but it's just way to hot.
Wintertime - Stay out of the water or head inland in one of the fresh water marshes.