PDA

View Full Version : Preening Common Tern

Clemens Vanderwerf
09-12-2010, 08:41 PM
Taken during Artie's IPT at Nickerson Beach in August during windy and rainy conditions. Like the fact that you can see him clearly work the one feather on the back.
Have lightened the eye a little bit and de-saturated the legs. Applied NR.

Canon 1D MkIV, 800mm/f5.6, 1/250 at f6.3, ISO 800 with fill flash -3

Any comments to improve are welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Clemens

subhrashis
09-13-2010, 12:19 AM
Love the simplicity and beauty in this one, really elegant! I like the details, the feather, and the color 'highlights' from the beak and feet. The bg color complements the 'color highlights'.

I feel lightening/sharpening the eye some to make it more visible would make the frame better, as presently it is being lost in the blacks of the head.

Daniel Cadieux
09-13-2010, 07:43 AM
Beautiful preening pose, I love the fact the feather is clearly pinched between the mandibles. Great low angle (you could crop out a bit at bottom) and attractive BG. I feel the contrast is a bit strong, and it looks like you ran NR on the bird too - if so, it is better to run NR on the BG/FG only as this tends to smooth fine feather details.

denise ippolito
09-13-2010, 08:20 AM
Clemens, I love the pose and the soft BG colors add to the image. I wish there was a catch light in the eye or a bit more life to it. Contrast seems a bit strong as Daniel noted. I may have preferred less FG for this one. All said this is a lovely image and one that I would be very happy with. :) Nicely done.

Clemens Vanderwerf
09-13-2010, 10:46 AM
Daniel,

I did run the NR on the whole image. Will play around with it a bit more and also try to smooth the contract a bit.

Thanks.
Clemens

Beautiful preening pose, I love the fact the feather is clearly pinched between the mandibles. Great low angle (you could crop out a bit at bottom) and attractive BG. I feel the contrast is a bit strong, and it looks like you ran NR on the bird too - if so, it is better to run NR on the BG/FG only as this tends to smooth fine feather details.

Clemens Vanderwerf
09-13-2010, 10:48 AM
Clemens, I love the pose and the soft BG colors add to the image. I wish there was a catch light in the eye or a bit more life to it. Contrast seems a bit strong as Daniel noted. I may have preferred less FG for this one. All said this is a lovely image and one that I would be very happy with. :) Nicely done.

Denise,

Will do some more eye doctoring and cut a little of the bottom.

Thanks,
Clemens

Kaustubh Deshpande
09-13-2010, 11:00 AM
Terrific pose and low angle. Your work is very inspiring.

Arthur Morris
09-13-2010, 02:56 PM
Loved the feather grab pose. For the repost reduced contrast a bit, cropped from the bottom, and did a bit of Eye Doctor work. Love the low perspective. Hope that you did not lose your keys while crawling around in the sand :) (as I did)....

denise ippolito
09-13-2010, 03:15 PM
Looks great!

Craig Brelsford
09-15-2010, 01:51 AM
You had some sand on your belly to brush off when you were finished shooting this one, but the work was well-rewarded; congratulations and thanks for the low angle. You've put me right down there with the bird.

Clemens Vanderwerf
09-15-2010, 05:54 PM
You had some sand on your belly to brush off when you were finished shooting this one, but the work was well-rewarded; congratulations and thanks for the low angle. You've put me right down there with the bird.

Hi Craig,
Actually, I was sitting on my knees in the sand behind the tripod. With the 800/f5.6 you get this very low level effect that make the picture very intimate.
Clemens