PDA

View Full Version : Monopod Question

Michael Barbuschak
03-10-2008, 10:42 AM
I currently purchased the Gitzo GM-5540 monopod and I would like to know what type of head/plate to purchase. I will be using this with a Canon Mark III and the biggest lens I will use will be the 500mm f4 which has the 4th Generation Design CP 51a replacement foot installed. Should I just use the RRS B2-Pro/L quick release clamp? Is there anything else out there that's better? I have heard about using the Manfrotto model #3232 swivel head and the RRS B2-Pro/L clamp but I don't think that will hold the weight. Any suggestions out there?

Thanks in advance.:)

James Prudente
03-10-2008, 10:49 AM
The RRS clamp and the Bogen swivel head will hold the weight without problem. In fact to make it even more user friendly tilt the swivel head and clamp vertical and mount lens to a Wimberley Sidekick and place it in the clamp. This will give you greater flexibility for gimbaling the lens. I have used this method for several years and have never had a problem with the weight. I did as a precaution however use epoxy between the clamp and swivel head to insure that the clamp would not creep.

The RRS site has detail on the combo but doesn't address the use of a Sidekick.

Jim

Ben Page
03-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Try it without any head, I used to use a head on my monopod but get much better results just screwing it straight onto the lens collar (apparently that what a lot of the sports pro's do).

Robert O'Toole
03-10-2008, 06:15 PM
I currently purchased the Gitzo GM-5540 monopod and I would like to know what type of head/plate to purchase. I will be using this with a Canon Mark III and the biggest lens I will use will be the 500mm f4 which has the 4th Generation Design CP 51a replacement foot installed. Should I just use the RRS B2-Pro/L quick release clamp? Is there anything else out there that's better? I have heard about using the Manfrotto model #3232 swivel head and the RRS B2-Pro/L clamp but I don't think that will hold the weight. Any suggestions out there?

Thanks in advance.:)

Good info on this topic in this thread (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3600&highlight=monopod). I recommended the acratech big lens tilt head and posted an image and link.

A good source for info like this is using the search box in the upper right on all the forum pages to search for previous posts of the same subject.

Hope this helps.

Robert

Tony Whitehead
03-11-2008, 12:54 AM
Another vote for screwing the monopod straight onto the lens - simple and works well for me for sport, wildlife and birds