PDA

View Full Version : Hey!! My head angle is better than yours!

Joel Eade
09-12-2010, 02:39 PM
A group of Brown Pelicans, taken from the deck of the Hooptie Deux....it looked like a little meeting and they were all trying to pose for the camera.

EOS 1D MKIII
500 mm f/4L IS USM
Tripod
Manual mode
1/250
f/7.1
ISO 800

ACR and CS5 added a little canvas on the right, pano type crop

Ian Cassell
09-12-2010, 03:24 PM
I like this. The light is very pretty. I think the pano crop works quite well. I also love the title :). Sometimes I get the feeling that birds intentionally turn their heads away from me.

Lance Peters
09-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Hi Joel - sweet light, like the low shooting angle and the pano crop works well.
Done well with the heads 6 visible eyes, no mean feet!!

Ian -- I think what you are mentioning all comes down to attitude - If you go in there with the feeling that they are going to turn there heads away from you - guess what!!
The Curlews I have been shooting I was parked abut 5 feet away from and being nocturnal they dont do much during the day at all - So I was sitting in the car saying to myself - come on open your mouth, come on open your mouth - guess what happened -for no apparent reason decides to open his mouth and stick his tongue out!
Sounds weird - I know :)

Julie Kenward
09-12-2010, 06:07 PM
Very nice, Joel. I really like this - especially because you have an odd number of birds at both ends - it really balances out the image nicely. Beautiful lighting...might check and see if the water needs a little CCW rotation - seems to me it's a bit higher on the left than the right.

Arthur Morris
09-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Very nice, Joel. I really like this - especially because you have an odd number of birds at both ends - it really balances out the image nicely. Beautiful lighting...might check and see if the water needs a little CCW rotation - seems to me it's a bit higher on the left than the right.

Close Julie, but there are four on our left (including the one that is almost completely hidden) :)

Arthur Morris
09-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Joel, You certainly have a variety of head angles on the young pelicans, all very acceptable. The fourth mostly hidden bird in the left hand group was bad luck. The three merged/partially hidden bills are less than ideal.

EXP, SH, and concept are all excellent.