Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Av mode
1/125"
F16
ISO:400
Canon 430EX with bounce card: On, Fired
LR & CS3
Tripod

Shot this yesterday when Allen was visiting. It was ready for a meal but while we were watching, only large butterflies got close and it didn't try for them. Later in the evening it caught a small grass skipper.

Ian Cassell
09-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Very nice, Ken. The detail on the face is amazing and the contrast with the flower is beautiful. I have yet to get something this clear of a crab -- but I keep trying. My daughter captions all my crab spider photos with "How about a hug?"

Randy Stout
09-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Ken:

I like the colors, composition and background. Looks like the same type of flower as Allen had in his butterfly pic.

Very nice exposure with seamless flash use.

Cheers

Randy

Ken Childs
09-12-2010, 05:18 PM
My daughter captions all my crab spider photos with "How about a hug?"
LOL!
When I was watching it, I got the feeling it was saying, "I want a butterfly THIS...BIG". :D

Looks like the same type of flower as Allen had in his butterfly pic.
It was on the same Lantana bush. There was lots going on in that bush, including some X-rated butterfly activity! :o

Jay Sheinfield
09-12-2010, 07:10 PM
Ken,

Great details on the spider. The whites of the spider are well done and contrast nicely with the flower. Really pops! Great DOF, and I also like the diagonal leg spread with the yellows inviting you in and around the creature!

BTW, as learned from the avian forum the HA (head angle) of the spider is terrific, angled toward the lens. If it were a bird, Artie would have applauded...............imo

Daniel Cadieux
09-12-2010, 07:24 PM
I love the mix of white, yellow, and red. I've heard that some species of crab spiders change colours depending on the colour of flower they are on, I guess this is not one of them! Aesome comp, and perfect techs.

Art Kornienko
09-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Comp and contrasting colours make it pop. Super dof.

Julie Kenward
09-13-2010, 07:11 AM
The thing that I really love about this one is that you put the spider in the opposing corner to the flower - nicely composed, Ken! Wow! I think the two back legs are a tiny bit less in focus than the others; you might do a small bit of sharpening there to see if you can get those pincers as sharp as all the others. BG is nice - too bad it wasn't a blue sky - that would have totally put this one over the top!

Allen Sparks
09-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Wonderful capture Ken! puts my effort to shame. I think you nailed it...awesome clarity and focus. Thanks for having us up again.

Roman Kurywczak
09-13-2010, 02:58 PM
Hey Ken,
Yep.....crushed this one right out of the park! Great flash use and the colors really set off the spider......especially against the dark BG.Great job!!!:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Jim Bridges
09-14-2010, 08:27 AM
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:RelyOnVML/> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> First-rate work on this little guy! I finally found one of these little spiders this year and was shocked how small it was...I didn't get anything close to this type of image, but you've inspired me to keep trying by posting this one Ken!