PDA

View Full Version : Katmai Sunrise

Arthur Morris
09-11-2010, 08:36 PM
I created this image on the first morning of the bear boat trip from the boat that served as our home for a week. The colors were not repeated this trip (though I have seen them on prior trips). The image was created with the Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS lens at 93mm with the EOS-1D MIV. ISO 500. -1 2/3 stops was needed to keep from burning the RED channel as per the RGB histogram (always recommended for colorful sunrises and sunsets): 1/60 sec. at f/4.5 in TV mode.

Arthur Morris
09-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Conversion to an sRGB JPEG has really muted the colors here; not sure why...

Arthur Morris
09-11-2010, 08:52 PM
An experiment....

Arthur Morris
09-11-2010, 08:53 PM
Experiment failed.. Tried posting it larger as an RGB JPEG but colors still much muted as compared to the TIFF....

Robert Amoruso
09-11-2010, 08:59 PM
Conversion to an sRGB JPEG has really muted the colors here; not sure why...

Same problem I have. The 1024p wide post is much more effective. I like the comp with the strong "V" shape created by the mountain range and the reflection. I do like the longer FG to draw the eye into the image but also feel that for me this image would work as a pano cropped with the horizon at the middle.

Dave Mills
09-12-2010, 08:30 AM
Hi Art, beautiful pastel colors with strong silhouettes and slightly lighter mountains in the backround which adds to the interest. The bands of color in the sky are quite pleasing also.
IMO this image lends itself strongly to a pano crop. I would use the bottom of the red band in the foreground as the crop line.

Arthur Morris
09-12-2010, 08:45 AM
I do like the longer FG to draw the eye into the image but also feel that for me this image would work as a pano cropped with the horizon at the middle.

Exactly as requested by Robert.

Dave Mills
09-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Works for me....

Arthur Morris
09-12-2010, 08:47 AM
IMO this image lends itself strongly to a pano crop. I would use the bottom of the red band in the foreground as the crop line.

Exactly as requested by Dave.

Joe Senzatimore
09-12-2010, 09:04 AM
My vote for the last pano.

Arthur Morris
09-12-2010, 09:12 AM
Thanks Dave and Robert for your kind words and suggestions. I like both pano crops but prefer Robert's by a small margin. I still like the original capture best :)

Roman Kurywczak
09-12-2010, 12:09 PM
Hey Artie,
Colors look VG on this end.......love the idea of the pano crop.....much stronger IMO and both work for me! In the repost......I took the easy way out and went in between:D..........other tweak I wanted to recommend and show you....was a levels layer on just the blacks.....why?....to give the 2nd row.....more distant mountains a touch more seperation from the FG ones.....adding more depth. Small tweak to an image that was overall nicely done!
PS Waterline was included in layer too.

Arthur Morris
09-12-2010, 06:37 PM
Jeez, I just calibrated my monitor and the colors look really yucky now. I will re-calibrate in slightly different light and be back soon.

Judy Howle
09-13-2010, 09:59 PM
It's a stunning image with the silhouetted mountains and great colors in the sky and reflections. Roman, I like your tweak and crop.

Andrew McLachlan
09-25-2010, 10:07 AM
Hi Arthur,

I like both the original and the cropped version. Glad you mentioned that the colors are muted after conversion - that would be my only suggestion to punch up the colors in the sky and the reflection too. I wonder if you could get the look you are seeking by using Viveza 2 to punch-up the colors a tad and maybe even use the structure slider to bring out a smidge of detail in the clouds. Otherwise, wish I was there to shoot this one!

Andrew McLachlan
09-25-2010, 02:15 PM

Hi Arthur,

Decided to plat around with your shot as I described in earlier post upon returning home from running a few errands.

Might be a little to heavy handed with adjustments, but I made adjustments using both Viveza 2 and then slight adjustments with Saturation, Highlight and Mid-Tone sliders in Tonal Contrast (Color Efex)

Let me know what you think.

Arthur Morris
09-25-2010, 05:13 PM
Thanks Andrew, The color is better but nothing like that of the master file. That at the price of increased noise from the JPEG being re-saved. I do appreciate the time that you took.