PDA

View Full Version : Not a Coastal Brown Bear

Arthur Morris
09-11-2010, 06:00 PM
Just got back from another great bear boat trip. This Mew Gull was fishing for salmon eggs at Geographic Harbor, Katmai National Park, AK. Whenever a bear charges through the stream in search of a salmon dinner they disturb the roe on the bottom of the stream and the gulls respond.

Canon 800mm f/5.6 L IS lens with the EOS-1D MIV. ISO 800. 1/500 sec at f/5.6 was 1/3 stop brighter than the reading off of the green grasses higher on the bank. Yes, it was dark.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Randy Stout
09-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Artie"

Seems to be a bit of a problem with eye contact, and I am afraid the head angle is a bit hard to call, although I think it is OK based on the body angle. Perhaps we should call it the 'virtual head angle' in this case.:D

Nicely exposed with good detail in the wing feathers. I think this type of image would work best in a series, so the viewer has a better concept of what is happening.

Cheers

Good to have you back

Randy

denise ippolito
09-11-2010, 06:56 PM
Beautiful wing details, I like the behavior captured. Seems a little centered.

Robert Amoruso
09-11-2010, 08:16 PM
What are those streaks? You need to clean the sensor Artie.:2eyes2::D

Arthur Morris
09-11-2010, 08:21 PM
What are those streaks? You need to clean the sensor Artie.:2eyes2::D

The streaks are flying water Robert. You need to clean your glasses. :2eyes2:

I should have eliminated the bright round ones though. I am surprised that I missed those.

Robert Amoruso
09-11-2010, 08:36 PM
The streaks are flying water Robert. You need to clean your glasses. :2eyes2:

I should have eliminated the bright round ones though. I am surprised that I missed those.

I hope you realize I am joking.:p I know what it is. ;) But do agree the round ones could be eliminated.

Aidan Briggs
09-12-2010, 02:19 PM
I like the open wings and rain. The line of reeds makes me think it needs some rotation?

Looking forward to more!!

Arthur Morris
09-12-2010, 08:20 PM
Denise, I still have 2X as much room in front of the bird than behind :)

Robert, you did have me confused...

Aidan, I had the lens pointed a bit upstream thus the slight angle to the far bank.

Thanks all for your comments.