PDA

View Full Version : A young-un

John Chardine
09-11-2010, 03:06 PM
I thought I'd try this first year Semipalmated Plover on for size. Light was great, air quality was super. Not sure about the OOF stuff below but it does give a sense of low angle which I like. I cropped to about 60% of original size, dodged eye and removed a hint of "steel-eye" from the flash with some burning-in.

I normally use manual exposure but the light was so even I started out today on Av. Moved quickly to manual as I felt out of control in Av!

Date: 11 September, 2010, Time: 1117h
Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS USM +1.4x, 700 mm
Program: Aperture Priority
ISO 800, 1/1600s, f/5.6
Exp. comp.: 0.0
Flash: on, Flash exp. comp.: -1.0

Lance Peters
09-12-2010, 03:45 AM
Hi John - love the low shooting angle - nice catchlight in the eye and sharp as a tack. Know what you mean about the OOF stuff at the bottom - just a little less so the feet were a little more visible would be my personal taste.
Lots to like here :)

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
09-12-2010, 10:30 AM
John,

Greetings. I like the low angle (and the detail!) but miss the strip of in focus bottom that anchors everything (characteristic of the low angle shot). There is just a bit of it on the right. Perhaps, over detailing that strip would work...

Used Topaz Detail 2 on what would have been in focus and luminosity blend mode (opacity to taste).

Cheers,

-Michael-

Joel Eade
09-12-2010, 11:52 AM
John,

The exposure and detail are just right, the head angle is great too, I wonder if you could get away with cropping a little off the top and bottom to get the birds eye out of the center and minimize the blurred stuff in the foreground.

Joel

Mark Young
09-12-2010, 11:13 PM
Beautiful image John, love the low angle. Exposure looks great, really nice details. Would loved to have just a bit more side on view on this image. As others have noted, the oof fg is the only distrating element.