PDA

View Full Version : Bear's-head Tooth Mushroom backlit close-up.

Daniel Cadieux
09-11-2010, 12:21 PM
This was my first time seeing one of these. At first I photographed it with the sun to my back, but when I went around it to see other compositional options I saw how the sunlight glowed through this impressive specimen. "Glowing close-ups!!" was my immediate thought, and I then spent a good while getting down and dirty for the best views I could get. Some of the yellows are slightly clipped at their brightest, but I thought it looked best leaving them there, but if others have other options/recommendations go right ahead!

Canon 40D + Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 lens @40mm + 36mm ext. tube, aperture priority, evaluative metering, 1/100s., f/16, ISO 800, -1 EC, natural light, handheld, full frame. A couple of pieces of debris cloned/patched out.

Randy Stout
09-11-2010, 03:02 PM
Daniel;

Very abstract, I doubt many would be able to guess the subject here. Good choice on backlighting, much more interesting.
I might consider lowering the luminosity of the upper band from the left edge to mid frame a little, but thats it.

Always fun to try a different subject!

Cheers

Randy

Cheryle Sytsma
09-11-2010, 09:12 PM
Lovely! Ethereal...
I do enjoy this composition and colors...

Art Kornienko
09-11-2010, 09:20 PM
Nice abstract type shot and yes probably would be hard to determine the subject, but shapes and colours put it over the top. Maybe some CCW rotation.

Allen Sparks
09-12-2010, 04:40 AM
Wow - this is cool! Great abstract feel as others have mentioned. My eye is drawn to the bright spot in left center...that is not necessarily a bad thing but if that is not what you want you may try toning that spot down some.

Roman Kurywczak
09-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Daniel,
Very cool abstract!!! Love the backlight but agree with suggestions above on toning down some areas and perhaps lightening others.......but minor tweaks to a very strong abstract!:cheers:

Ken Childs
09-12-2010, 02:58 PM
I love this backlighting but I think that if the upper middle area could be toned down just a bit, it would make this cool shot even cooler. :)

Jonathan Ashton
09-19-2010, 08:14 AM
Interesting image, I would have been tempted to lower the highlights a little.