PDA

View Full Version : Sunset HDR

Judy Howle
09-10-2010, 09:57 PM
I haven't taken too many HDR photos at sunset and most didn't turn out too well but this is one that I liked. I re-processed it using Photomatix 4 beta tone compressor to keep the darker colors and not blow out the light colors and it is better than the first one. I then used Topaz Adjust to add a little contrast and color. f8, ISO 320 - 5D 2

Judy

Robert Amoruso
09-11-2010, 08:06 PM
Judy,

I find the same as you I rarely like HDR when the sun is in the image. Here you did quite well. I would have preferred the sun more left in the frame.

Dave Mills
09-12-2010, 08:36 AM
Hi Judy, another nice one along with handling the HDR rather well.I also like the reflected light in the water and agree about the centering of the sun but not a major issue here...The clouds simply dominate the image...

Joe Senzatimore
09-12-2010, 09:06 AM
Not too well versed on HDR as I am just starting to get into it , but I do like this one alot. Love the colors and the great mood created by this capture.

Judy Howle
09-12-2010, 09:32 AM
Thanks Robert. The centered sun in this particular image doesn't bother me since it's not the main subject ;)

Judy Howle
09-12-2010, 09:34 AM
Thanks Dave.

Judy Howle
09-12-2010, 10:10 AM
Thanks Joe. I've seen some very nice sunset HDRs but most of mine didn't work out. The few I've saved almost all use tone compressor as it keeps the dark tones. I think it depends on the scene too.

Roman Kurywczak
09-12-2010, 11:52 AM
Hey Judy,
I think the HDR work here is excellent......looks very natural and in this case a huge plus. I thought like the others on the sun placement and while your thought on the focus point is correct......rarely do we put it in the center (although like Dave mentioned....it isn't a deal breaker)......it often has a stronger impact in one of the ROT positions. The repost shows that......just a simple crop. While this may not always work......nor am I suggesting staying away from a central comp when necessary......just another option and thought to keep in mind when you are out in the field. For my tastes.....the repost is stronger but let me know your thoughts!

Judy Howle
09-13-2010, 10:09 PM
Thanks Roman. Your crop looks better than I thought it would with the LH clouds removed. I like it. I hadn't tried it myself.

I usually try to put the sun off center except when doing that would chop off some clouds that I want to include on both sides.