PDA

View Full Version : Dowitcher in Habitat

Bernie Howe
09-10-2010, 06:06 PM
I found this lonely Dowitcher in the reeds earlier this year right after the big floods we had on the river here in Arizona.

http://members.cox.net/bphowe/Dowitcher-in-habitat.jpg

Model - Canon EOS 50D
ExposureProgram - Aperture priority
ISOSpeedRatings - 400
ShutterSpeedValue - 1/800 seconds
ApertureValue - F 5.60
ExposureBiasValue - -0.33
SubjectDistance - 76.60 m
MeteringMode - Partial
Flash - Flash not fired, compulsory flash mode
FocalLength - 400 mm
ExposureMode - Auto
White Balance - Auto

Connie Mier
09-10-2010, 06:50 PM
I never would have thought these birds lived in the desert. I like the habitat scene, very serene, nicely captured.

Arthur Morris
09-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Hi Bernie, I like this one a lot. The sharpness and EXP are excellent. And I like the reeds. Except for the o-o-f ones entering on our lower left.... Based on the length of the bill and the inland location this is pretty much surely a long-billed.

Did you have any more room in front of the bird?

Bernie Howe
09-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Hi Bernie, I like this one a lot. The sharpness and EXP are excellent. And I like the reeds. Except for the o-o-f ones entering on our lower left.... Based on the length of the bill and the inland location this is pretty much surely a long-billed.

Did you have any more room in front of the bird?

No I was as low as I could get on the river bank and the out of focus reeds was below the bank sticking up and I was trying to look through them. I was going to try and clone them out but I'm not that good yet.

Arthur Morris
09-11-2010, 07:24 PM
A crop from below and the rear yields a less centered COMP and eliminated most of the reeds in the llc. A flopped Quick Mask covered what was left.

Best would have been composed with the bird well back in the frame....

Arthur Morris
09-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Working on the lower right reeds would make it even better. Image quality held up well.

Bernie Howe
09-11-2010, 07:47 PM
Thank You so much, I have both your book and CD and it is helping so much. Thank you again.

A huge fan
Bernie

Arthur Morris
09-11-2010, 07:50 PM
YAW & super and thanks for your kind words (and purchases). Not to be greedy but Digital Basics (updated so many times that it no longer resembles the chapter in ABP II) would get you up to speed in Photoshop very quickly.

Bernie Howe
09-11-2010, 08:42 PM
Just went to your store and there is a problem it does not load. When its fixed I put my order in. I have not been disappointed with any purchase I have gotten yet.
It is amazing how you can take an average photo and turn it into something really nice. Thank you for helping us in need.

Arthur Morris
09-11-2010, 08:55 PM
YAW. Give me a buzz tomorrow and I will process your order personally. And again, YAW.