PDA

View Full Version : Finch Illustration

Dave Woeller
09-09-2010, 05:08 PM
I worked this finch shot in Topaz Adjust in an attempt to get the look of an old bird ID manual illustration. I wish his tail hadn't been cut off, but I enjoyed the time spent on the image.

Indranil Sircar
09-09-2010, 06:15 PM
Beautiful composition, Dave. It does look like an illustration. The hk effect works well. Too bad on the tail; but this being OOTB, you can create a virtual tail;)

denise ippolito
09-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Awesome work Dave. One of the best illustrated looks I've seen. The high-key BG and perch are perfect. I agree w/ Indranil regarding the tail:)

Cheryl Slechta
09-09-2010, 09:17 PM
Dave, it does look like an illustration! Great composition and I don't mind the tail at all:)

Patti Edens
09-09-2010, 09:34 PM
Agree with all the comments - I love the diagonal of the perch and the brown tones. I think it would be worth creating that virtual tail too, but it does look awesome even without it.

Kerry Perkins
09-09-2010, 11:00 PM
Dave, do you have any other images that have the full tail? Would certainly be worth the effort to do an "extension". I love the way this looks and the fact that you got the look with a single filter. Very cute finch.

Dave Woeller
09-10-2010, 08:14 AM
Thanks to everyone for the kind words. I need to apologize for some mis-information. The filter used was actually a combination of Topaz and Fractalious. I had been experimenting with multiple filters and the frac part of this shot had slipped my mind when I posted (it's that age thing again :(). I may try to construct a tail for this guy.

Judy Howle
09-10-2010, 10:59 AM
Nice work on the finch Dave. I like the illustrative look. I might try some of my bird photos and see what I can come up with. I've only used Fractalius a few times and still getting a feel for it.

Julie Kenward
09-11-2010, 01:37 AM
This really brings out the texture and "attitude" of this lovely bird. Excellent work, Dave.

Steve Adkins
09-11-2010, 08:33 PM
Great result, Dave. Simple and pure image. Has a little Winter flavor. Very nice!

Dave Woeller
09-12-2010, 06:36 AM
Thanks again Judy, Julie and Steve. As a matter of fact, the image did come from a shot on my feeder last winter.