PDA

View Full Version : White-fronted Bee-eater : Full frame ,uncropped

Arno Ellmer
09-09-2010, 02:57 PM
Here is the jpg image with original ,uncropped frame of the image posted on 7 Sept.
Mike ,Randy and Daniel were interested to see this original and to assess cropping alternatives.
Image unprocessed.
All comments and suggestions always welcome

Doug Brown
09-09-2010, 03:36 PM
For everyone's benefit, here's the crop from the earlier thread.78036

Doug Brown
09-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Here's my take on the crop.

Mike Milicia
09-09-2010, 04:35 PM
My preferred comp/crop for something like this is complicated by the degree to which the bird is centered in the original. My preferred "crop" would require adding canvas on the right if that's something you would consider.
Here's my quick and dirty attempt at adding canvas and cropping.
If you'd rather not add canvas, both Peter and Doug have provided nice alternatives.

Robert Amoruso
09-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Unique bird and perch combine with a great BG. I would go with Peter's post. I prefer the horizontal crop best and like his softer color palette and sharpening.

Bill Jobes
09-09-2010, 11:12 PM
This is a delightful image, Arno.

Here's the way I would crop the photo.

Randy Stout
09-10-2010, 06:48 AM
Arno:

I copied the image and played with the crop, and ended up very similar to Doug's, with perhaps a tiny bit less on the right. I think it helps to show the entire plant arch.

Thanks so much for posting it, very instructional about some of the options and different visions!

Cheers

Randy

Nico Steenberg
09-10-2010, 12:12 PM
Great natural colours and bg. Like the perch. IMG is sharp and well exposed with good natural colours. Mike's crop is a killer

Arno Ellmer
09-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Thank you all for the very useful and educational comments !
All have positively contributed to improving my cropping skills and in demonstrating what a difference a good and correct crop can make !