PDA

View Full Version : Glow

Desmond Chan
09-08-2010, 11:25 PM
300mm f4 + 1.4TC + D700. ISO 800 f8 1/400s.

Slight crop and applied a touch of Nik's Glamour Glow to the flower.

Not sure about this one and would like to hear your thought about it.

Thank you !!

Kaushik Balakumar
09-09-2010, 01:47 AM
Oh beautiful ! Smooth BG, lovely back-lighting on the flower. Only wish for more DOF...

OvidiuCavasdan
09-09-2010, 01:08 PM
I like the composition and lighting, but I find the oof bud distracting.

Ken Childs
09-09-2010, 01:55 PM
Hey Desmond, I like the concept but wish the entire flower had the glow. It looks kind of unbalanced with just those 2 petals glowing. You may want to visit this again and see if you can lighten up those other petals and the center of the flower. I would clone out that OOF bud and maybe crop some from the right. In the field I would have tried to push that one petal pointing right at us back into position.

Anita Bower
09-09-2010, 02:22 PM
This flower is a Chinese Anemone. I love them! I'm wondering if you might have tried smaller aperture/larger f stop and still obtained a nice bg. This balance is always a challenge for me when shooting in the field. I might have rotated the camera a bit so the flower is looking up towards the ULC, but this is not a big deal. I don't know what effect Nik Glamor Glow had on the original image as I've never used it. I'm thinking the focus of light should be on the center of the flower, which is where your sharpness focus was, not on the back petals. I also think the entire image could be lightened up a bit. I hope to took more photos of these lovely flowers!

Roman Kurywczak
09-10-2010, 09:40 AM
Hey Desmond,
I really love the light......maybe a touch more in the center with a reflector in the field....and I may want a bit more room on the left.....until I think of a vert rotation......but overall nicely done!

Desmond Chan
09-10-2010, 11:56 PM
Thank you everyone for the input !

To me, the major problem is the shadow areas in the petals. Apparently they're not as bad as I thought :) Still, some of you prefer to see the whole flower glow. With the light from the angle as shot, I'm not sure if that would be necessary myself but would not mind seeing more lit areas than shadowed, i.e., shoot from another perspective or wait till the light shinning from another angle.

Thank you Anita for the id. If next time the flowers are still there, I will certainly try to make some images of them again.

Anita Bower
09-11-2010, 06:05 AM
Thank you everyone for the input !

To me, the major problem is the shadow areas in the petals. Apparently they're not as bad as I thought :) Still, some of you prefer to see the whole flower glow. With the light from the angle as shot, I'm not sure if that would be necessary myself but would not mind seeing more lit areas than shadowed, i.e., shoot from another perspective or wait till the light shinning from another angle.

Thank you Anita for the id. If next time the flowers are still there, I will certainly try to make some images of them again.
Desmond: I was unsure which light was from post processing and which from the original image. This made it a bit difficult for me to comment.

Desmond Chan
09-11-2010, 03:10 PM
Desmond: I was unsure which light was from post processing and which from the original image.

Anita, I used a bit of the Glamour Glow filter to make the lit petals brighter and look softer. It has also softened and brightened the shadows a bit, too, but does not affter the direction of the light. I also slightly brightened up the center of the flower but chose not to do it too much to stay with the fact that it's in the shadow.

Anita Bower
09-11-2010, 07:21 PM
Anita, I used a bit of the Glamour Glow filter to make the lit petals brighter and look softer. It has also softened and brightened the shadows a bit, too, but does not affter the direction of the light. I also slightly brightened up the center of the flower but chose not to do it too much to stay with the fact that it's in the shadow.

Thanks. This helps me to better understand the lighting on your image.