Nikon D-300
3 sec at f16
ISO200
12-24mm Tokina at 12mm
All comments welcome! Composition?

Robert Amoruso
09-08-2010, 08:59 PM
Hi Bob,

Do you recall where this waterfall is? I do not remember seeing this one during one of my many trips there.

Overall I think the composition works well. I might have included some more room at top (so as not to clip the rocks UL) and less at bottom (it feels heavy at the bottom to me), but it works well as presented.

THe strong light is a a problem here but I offer two suggestions: Reverse s-curve (will lower overall contrast) and shadow/highlights adjustment (to open up shadows, tone down the whites and add some mid-range contrast).

My changes are for the most part global, you can mask as needed to change tonal relationships, make dark rocks darker, etc.

See my tutorial links here for more.

Go to http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20434 for Reverse S-Curve, Shadows/Highlights, Local Contrast Enhancement (LCE), Blending Mode and Selective Color.

Dave Mills
09-09-2010, 08:12 AM
Hi Bob, Nice falls!
A few things. Agree with Robert regarding a bit more room at the top. I know you wanted to get the green leaves at the base in the image but IMO has thrown the comp off a bit. I feel you need a bit more room on the right(not much) to better balance the falls. The rocks at the bottom of the falls are a bit bright and I might tone them down some. Interesting image with even lighting...

Bob Miller
09-09-2010, 02:43 PM
Robert and dave..Thank you for the suggestions! i will definetely work on this one a bit more!

Roman Kurywczak
09-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Hey Bob,
Late to the party and VG advice given above. I definitely agree with the more room top and right too.....but the tweaks will help take this up a notch.