PDA

View Full Version : Twelve Apostles sunset

Dean Ingwersen
03-10-2008, 03:24 AM
Hi all,

Tried something a little different to the classic image of the Twelve Apostles on Victoria's Great Ocean Road. Very trying conditions (i.e. lots of sea fog, cloud blocking sun, etc) so attempted to get a moody shot with the only window of sun viewed for the last hour or so of the day. Very novice at landscapes so any advice much appreciated.

Cheers, Dean

Canon 20D, 18-55mm lens (yes, the junk kit one) @ 18mm, f/22, 1/13 sec, ISO 100, AV -1/3
Photoshop - slight crop and level horizon, sh-h, levels, curves, sat, slight usm.

John Cooper
03-10-2008, 04:27 AM
I like your different approach here Dean and the warm glow on the bottom right makes a nice contrast with the cool tones on the left. Some local contrast may help with the haze or though the feel of a sea mist is not out of place. Well seen!!

Robert Amoruso
03-10-2008, 10:59 AM
Hi Dean,

I like the composition with the large FG rock, the middle-ground rock and the BG sun to balance it out. I copied the image to PSCS and did some Shadow/Highlight correction to bring up the details inthe rock and surf and the a curves adjustment to the highlights where I pulled up the upper 50% of the curve to increase contrast in the highlights to add more drama to the scene. Give it a try.

Nice work.

Alfred Forns
03-10-2008, 07:46 PM
I like the suggestions Robert has excellent points I think this image is one particularly suited to the U-point technology of Viveza Just select an are and go for the local changes

This is a wall hanger !!!!

gary rouleau
03-10-2008, 08:09 PM
this is a beautiful photo and I love the way you composed it. I would try Robert's idea -it sounds interesting and would love to see it.

gary

Dean Ingwersen
03-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Thanks all for comments, will have a go at it and re-post later today.

Cheers, Dean

Dean Ingwersen
03-11-2008, 05:48 AM
Hi all,

Robert...is this what you had in mind. I don't quite follow the second part of your posting (i.e. how to do curves adjustment just on highlights), but had a go anyway with some sh-h and curves work. I like the way this has turned out, but have lost a bit of the moodiness in the sky (which I wouldn't have if I knew how to make your suggested adjustment - sorry:o). Thanks for the feedback everyone.

cheers, Dean

Christof Ruch
03-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Hi Dean,

lovely image - I actually prefer the first version. The mist doesn't bother me at all, I feel it rather adds.

cheers,
Christof

Dean Ingwersen
03-16-2008, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the comment Christof...I'm torn between the two!

Cheers, Dean

Christof Ruch
03-16-2008, 05:58 PM
Well, remember if you print (to hang it on the aforementioned wall :-), it'll certainly come out yet in a third way. I suggest you decide to prefer that :p