PDA

View Full Version : White Rhinoceros

Eric Landsberg
09-08-2010, 02:08 PM
http://www.wildlife.co.za/images/White-Rhinoceros/White-rhinoceros_1008004205_EJLandsberg.jpg

White Rhinoceros
(Ceratotherium simum)

It is with great sadness that I post this image – dehorned rhino cow with calf. During the past few months rhino poaching increased dramatically in South Africa. The park officials, resort to the only current available option, dehorning. (Is this the legacy we want our children to inherit?) . Soon we might not be able to admire these magnificent creations in their natural environment. But unfortunately greedy wealth driven individuals violently destroy our natural heritage.

Please register with - http://www.stoprhinopoaching.com/

Marc Mol
09-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Lovely animal scape image Eric, and what a tragedy this current situation really is!
Have heard that a lot of private concessions in RSA are selling off Rhino's because the cost of protection is too great.
TFS

Robert Amoruso
09-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Eric,

Good overall feel to the image, Good composition with the tree location and the rhinos - birds a nice plus. I like the color of the BG grasses.
I like this just as it is. Please post the technical information (equipment and exposure). Thanks.

Andrew Aveley
09-09-2010, 12:03 AM
great image that shows the reality of life in our parks and reserves................nicely done.:(

Hilary Hann
09-09-2010, 05:42 AM
South Africa has a proud history in saving these wonderful animals so let's hope that good will prevail.

This is a really nice image with the colours of Africa well portrayed. The birds are a nice touch.

Eric Landsberg
09-09-2010, 10:44 AM
Robert – I do apologise for not posting the information regarding the technical information, I know that this is one of the site rules. But the reason for posting this image is to create awareness amongst the international wildlife photographer community with regards to the plight of the African rhinos, and not for image critique. My apologies if the image was submitted in incorrectly.

Ken Watkins
09-22-2010, 10:37 PM
Despite the recent increase in poaching the Rhino population of SA is still increasing. What is needed to stop poaching is some action by CITES to allow the sale of farmed Rhino horn (dehorning on a regular basis is possible and does the animal no harm), there is allready tons of horn ready for sale!