PDA

View Full Version : Saddleworth Moor 2

Stuart Hill
09-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Another attempt at a mono version of the moors shoot from my previous posting. Using the help and critique as a guide.

regards.
Stu.

Robert Amoruso
09-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Thanks for posting this Stuart. I like composition with the diagonal in the BG and a lot of detail in the FG like I discussed in your previous post. With B&W I always like to play with the tonal ranges and downloaded the image and did it two ways. One with Local Contrast Enhancement and one with Shadow/Highlights adjustment (played around with shadows & highlights, amounts - tonal width - radius; and the mid-tone contrast at the bottom). See my tutorials below for more on LCE.

Image Contrast and Tonal Range Tweaks
By Robert Amoruso
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20434

Reverse S-Curve

Selective Color (Photoshop)

Shadows/Highlights Adjustment (Photoshop)

Local Contrast Enhancement (LCE) (Photoshop)

Blending Modes (Photoshop)

Image Contrast and Tonal Range Tweaks Part 2
by Robert Amoruso
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22916

Selecting Highlights and Shadows (Photoshop)

Gradient Masks (Photoshop)

Dave Mills
09-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Hi Stuart, Good advice by Robert pertaining to contrast adjustments. Heres where subjectivity comes into play.I generally like more simple compositions because I found them generally to be stronger.
This comp is a bit busy for my taste with an overpowering foreground that I feel takes away from the interesting ruins.

Stuart Hill
09-08-2010, 04:48 AM
Robert, thankyou so much for the tutorials. Was really stuck trying to find a way to get those tonal separations without losing detail.

Dave, thanks for your comments, much appreciated. And understand where you are coming from, re complex. My favourite seascape shot is one where there is no focal point at all. Beach, sea and sky, very long exposure. Just so peaceful. Wanted the complete opposite for this one. For me the moor is a menacing, wild , forboding place.

thanks again to you both.

regards.
Stu.

Roman Kurywczak
09-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Hey Stuart,
I think you did a better job with this one.....as always you can tweak........but I think you did quite a bit better with the PP'ing. Keep Dave's suggestions in mind for next time out in the field too.....but overall.......I think you did very well!

Stuart Hill
09-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Thanks Roman. Already planning a return with all the suggestions going around in my head.

regards.
Stu.

Bob Miller
09-08-2010, 07:32 PM
HI Stuart....Much better composition.....Nice work!

Judy Howle
09-09-2010, 03:01 PM
Stuart, I like your processing but I agree with Dave, the foreground is a bit busy for me. I think the ruins are very interesting.