PDA

View Full Version : Slow Motion

Andrew Aveley
09-07-2010, 01:03 PM
This image was taken after sunrise with no real golden light near Cape St Francis some 15 km from the world renowned surf break SuperTubes at Jeffries Bay South Africa. Clouds and lighting allowed for this scene to be converted to B&W. Cropped and processed with Silver EFX (basic) with USM

F11, ISO 100 , Canon 17-40 @ 17mm , 1 DMK 3 on tripod with self timer on manual.

Robert Amoruso
09-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Andrew,

I like the comp. The rushing in water draws the eye into the image and to the BG. Good use of slow shutter speed which is not recorded above. I would recommend a smaller aperture. the shutter speed you used as well as some slower one. The 1D Mark III will give you noise-less image up to ISO 400 so that can be increased as needed for lower aperture.

I downloaded your image and played around with the tones use the shadow/highlight adjustment in PS. Upped up whites, opened up blacks and increased mid-tone contrast and liked the result. Give it a try but only one way to mess around with the tones.

I do find the upper left distracting with the large expanse of white sky.

Thanks for posting and keep them coming.

Dave Mills
09-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Hi Andrew, agree with alot of Roberts points. Your B/W conversion looks pretty good to me but checking Roberts suggestion would be helpful. I agree that the white area on the left is a bit distracting and I also like the soft water flow.
Using the tripod I would have gone to a higher ISO and fstop. All in all I feel the image holds my interest and has some pleasing qualities...

Andrew Aveley
09-07-2010, 11:51 PM
Thank you for the great feedback. I apologize for the omission of the ss ( 1 second) I like the results with your PS suggestion. Any suggestions on the top left side of the image? Could you post the image you have adjust here for comparison :cool:

Roman Kurywczak
09-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Hey Andrew,
I think you could have in the field use a split ND on that brightest part......but would have been tough. I think making some of the rest of the sky brighter.....bring up more of the tones may also work. I have done it on Stewarts post below a bit.....darkening and lightening some areas selectively........but overall I think you did very well and keeping some of the suggestion in mind for next time out in the field.