PDA

View Full Version : alpine bogland

Valerio Tarone
09-07-2010, 12:06 PM
this was shot northward, just turning from another one in s-east direction. ROT,I accentuated the fg.
Nikon D300 zoom 17-35 at 19mm f10 1/60 ISO-1EV than 200 sat.3 D-lighting
sharpness 8 some work in curves, levels, reduction of noise. Filters: polariser+GND (new)
remote control.

Robert Amoruso
09-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Hello Valerio,

I like your composition here. I would suggest a crop from left and right to removed those areas where the flowers are not present (makes it a bit more vertical). I know that you mentioned ROT, but I like the view of the mountains and how the flowers take me to it. That will be accentuated better with a more vertical treatment.

Biggest issue I see here was the use of f/10 aperture. It was not enough to render the FG in focus. In the future, use a tripod if you were not and use a smaller aperture. Another option is focus stacking - you shoot multiple image with different ranges in focus and combine them in Photoshop.

Thanks for posting.

Dave Mills
09-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Hi Valerio, Roberts comments were exactly my thoughts. When shooting a landscape at F/10 you can expect an area to be soft. Tripods take care of any shutter speed issues so you can shoot at F/16-22 and not worry about camera shake.
Good use of the grad bringing out alot of detail in the clouds.
I have found when shooting with a wide angle at F/22,focusing a third of the distance out and being at least 3 ft away from your closest subject my images are always sharp throughout...

Valerio Tarone
09-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Thanks Robert and Dave, your eye is really sharp, yes, the tripod was wrong.

Roman Kurywczak
09-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Hi Valerio,
Nice to see you go your new toy! Be careful w/ it though because you can make the sky a bit too dark. Overall, I think you did a nice job and the recommendations Robert made are good ones as are the suggestions for more dof and a tripod. Looking forward to more with the new filter!