PDA

View Full Version : Kruger Fever Trees

Morkel Erasmus
09-07-2010, 08:15 AM
I created this HDR landscape from 3 shots taken from my car window during our trip to the northern section of the Kruger Park in December 2009. I normally opt for manual blending these days but stick to Photomatix when I had to shoot bracketed shots handheld, as it does a good job of lining up the features in an image.

I wanted to blend exposures here to correctly portray the beautiful sky I saw while capturing the detail apparent in the foreground.

These fever trees stood out nicely in this open plain in the midst of what is typically dense bushveld.

The topography of this area is a bit "rolling" hence the apparent "dip" in the centre of the horizon.

Techs:
Nikon D300s with 18-200mm VR
f11 @ ISO-200

Andrew Aveley
09-07-2010, 12:13 PM
great colours here Morkel. Northern Kruger mmm may this be on the road to Punda Maria from Shingwedzi? I recall these or a similar group near "shisa west". I have not seen them with the bush so lush and this is really great.

Robert Amoruso
09-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Morkel,

This image really has a great "feel" to it due to the composition but the thoughtful use of the HDR to increase all the details in it.

Dave Mills
09-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Hi Morkel, agree that the image has a nice feel to it with the puffy clouds adding alot to it. I was playing with the idea of cropping a bit off the left to get the larger trees out of the center but
in this case having them centered is not a deal breaker...

Morkel Erasmus
09-08-2010, 12:13 PM
thanks a lot Andrew, Robert & Dave...

Andrew - I think you know the exact spot here :)
Northern Kruger was VERY lush last December, even the Shingwedzi and Olifants rivers were in full flood.

Roman Kurywczak
09-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Hey Morkel,
I think the dip adds a lot to this image! I love the colors and lushness. Debated going a bit lighter w/ the trees.....ust for even more seperation.......but nicely done overall!

Andrew Aveley
09-09-2010, 12:06 AM
thanks Morkel, look forward to one day seeing the lush green plains of the north !