PDA

View Full Version : Samsung monitor any good?

Michael Bertelsen
09-06-2010, 05:41 PM
I have a Samsung Syncmaster 2443BW Monitor that I have been using for a year now.
It's hooked to my Acer 4420 12" screen.
Is this considered a reliable setup for my photography workflow?
What would be the draw backs and what would be a better set up if I like to use a laptop with a large monitor.

Thanks for the help,

Mike Bertelsen

Roger Clark
09-07-2010, 08:28 AM
Mike,
I have a samsung 19-inch LCD monitor as my second monitor. My main monitor is a Dell 30-inch, and I calibrate the 30-inch. I put the main photoshop window on the 19-inch and my images on the 30-inch. The samsung has worked fine for 2+ years now. I read online reviews before choosing. Check online reviews for the model you are looking at. For photo editing you really want an IPS-type LCD panel. IPS panels are more consistent in contrast and color with viewing angle. See my article on choosing an LCD monitor: http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/choosing_an_LCD_monitor/

Roger

Michael Bertelsen
09-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Thanks Rodger,
I'm considering switching to a Mac laptop and a monitor.

Michael

John Chardine
09-07-2010, 08:55 PM
I have one of the 17" Apple Cinema displays and a Samsung SyncMaster 2243WM beside it (the latter is a loaner from work). I calibrated both of them but the SyncMaster still looks a lot brighter than the Apple and I don't trust the it for soft-proofing in Photoshop. It also seems to be a lot more prone to colour shifts (to yellow) when viewed off angle- the Apple turns bluer.

Michael Bertelsen
09-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Hi John,
I have'nt those problems but I am not a fan of the matte screen.
Very hard to tell when its sharp enough.

Michael