PDA

View Full Version : Swirls

Michael Pancier
09-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Shohola Falls - Shohola, Pa - Delaware Water Gap NRA

This is an amazing waterfall with so many photo ops. This was taken in a corner of the falls as it is so large, it is nearly impossible to photograph in one image.

By accident, I noticed that the long exposure gave me some cool swirls, so I went all out and added a polarizer and ND filter to get a 30 second exposure.

Camera Canon EOS 5D Mark II + 24-105L + polarizer + 8x ND Filter
Exposure 30 seconds
Aperture f/22.0
Focal Length 47 mm
ISO Speed 100
Exposure Bias -2/3 EV

Robert Amoruso
09-07-2010, 06:32 AM
I agree Michael, this is a cool looking Falls. Is there any vantage point so you can look down at the pool. Might be one worth trying.

Nice work having the falls step through the image from right to left and ending at the pool in the center. It balances well with the two swirls. I might suggest a tad off the right to get the image edge at the same location relative the the swirl as it is on the left.

Dave Mills
09-07-2010, 08:11 AM
Hi Michael, nice job in composing the image with the swirls being a strong area of interest. I like Robert's idea of taking a small bit off the right to balance the image slightly better.
The only thing I would wish for is a bit more water running through the falls...

Morkel Erasmus
09-07-2010, 08:32 AM
I like this Michael - agree with Robert's crop suggestion. Is it viable to revisit this place at another time with less "ambient" light so as to prolong max possible exposure time given your setup?

Roman Kurywczak
09-08-2010, 02:33 PM
Hey Michael,
I love doing long exposures to see what swirls I get! This one is even more unusual as it has 2! I like the crop idea and if possible in the field.......try doing a little stray branch clean up.....but overall......nicely done!