PDA

View Full Version : My first bug

Jay Sheinfield
09-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Got this in the a.m. when shooting for birds in flight. The short story......I had no macro lens
and couldn't get the DOF I was after with the big lens at min focus distance of 6'. With no tripod to steady a close up, I backed up a few steps and re-shot wide open..........then did a mondo crop. This may start a discussion on ethics....................

I desaturated and toned down the yellows, trying to get separation between the GH and the flower. Did another very small crop in LLC of a flower part.

Missed focus on the tail. All in all, lucky to get the shot. I should have tried f/22 in close, but I not sure the SS would have worked. May need more room at the top..........

Nikon D3s
Nikon 200-400mm with 1.4 t/c (550mm)
ISO 1600
1/1600 sec @ f5.6

Thanks for looking..............

Comments welcome

Julie Kenward
09-06-2010, 03:20 PM
That is one yellow grasshopper, Jay! I would look at checking the histogram in the RAW file as I believe you are still way over in the yellow channel. I think you're right about needing a bit more room at the top - nothing drastic - just another little bit up there and perhaps a small bit off the bottom to balance him in the frame a bit more.

You got nice detail on the hopper - it looks like his back leg is a bit more in focus than his head. You might give the eye a little more selective sharpening to even it out.

Jay Sheinfield
09-06-2010, 03:37 PM
Jules,

Yup, did a Selective Color and took down the red in yellow channel. I'll do the canvass extension after a bit..............did another round of sharpening on the head. Take a look..........................

Julie Kenward
09-06-2010, 04:09 PM
Jay, it's a tiny bit to the green side now but I still think it's better than the OP. Nice work!

Roman Kurywczak
09-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Hey Jay,
Better.....but still think you may have missed the focus point or still needed more DOF. Yellows do look better in repost too....but as Jules mentioned.....maybe too much the other way. I think if you are in the field.....shooting the birds.....always carry at least 1 tube! Light and easy to get in a touch closer and not worry about the DOF as much. Bailing on some of that ISO or SS......1/400 or 1/320 ...even HH is possible.....with VG technique! That's where the Practice mantra comes in.......tuck that arm agains the body or steady it on your knee.......anything to help steady the camera. The more you practice that......the easier it gets and also lets you know how slow you can go with the birds!!!