PDA

View Full Version : At the beach

Bill Randall
09-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Ok, Ok so I did try birds once. I guess they are gulls? My focus was not just the birds but the overall affect of early morning at the beach.

Julie Kenward
09-06-2010, 02:53 PM
You've got some pretty harsh side lighting there, Bill. I do like the image from a compositional standpoint - the way the image rises on the sides and "points" down in the middle is very nice. I also like the dark rocks in the FG - they act as a nice anchor for the frame. Unfortunately, almost all of the birds are extremely overexposed to the point where you've lost a lot of data and detail. Next time, try exposing so even the brightest areas are within the histogram (no "blinkies") and then raise the darker areas up in pp. I am pretty sure fill flash would have been a big help here, too - but you don't give any camera stats so I don't know that for sure. (Always leave us camera exif data and any pp changes you made while editing the image when you are posting in the critique forums!)

Lance Peters
09-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Hi Bill - Julie nailed the critique - dont know there is much you could do here - If you had exposed for those whites the darks are going to be pretty dark - you can raise them in PP but will introduce noise.
Try and get the sun at your back - do need to keep those whites in check.

Lets not mention Head Angles - shall we ;)