PDA

View Full Version : Marbled Godwit

Joel Eade
09-06-2010, 08:00 AM
Taken from the deck of the Hooptie Deux in the mouth of the Alafia river, I had a glorious day with James Shadle.

EOS 1D MKIII
500mmf/4
1/640
f/7.1
iso 400
manual mode
evaluative metering
tripod
ACR and CS5 (laptop)

I cropped this slightly to keep the circular pattern of ripples in the frame, does it work?

Bill Dix
09-06-2010, 08:35 AM
Hi Joel. Comp works for me, except might add a slivver on the bottom and take off the top. Love the rosy light, pose and water reflections on the bird. Lower shooting angle would have been nice but probably not possible without taking a swim.

Julie Kenward
09-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Joel, what a lovely image. Glad you had such a good time on the Captain's boat! I really like the way the light is reflected in streaks across the bird's body - that really adds some nice interest. I also would take a bit off the top and go more to a pano crop as the bird and reflection are the main areas of interest and the crop will put the bird's eye closer to the ROT's position. You'll still get the full effect of the water but with a slightly different feel - pano's tend to be more "intimate" and bring the viewer closer into the bird's environment. Nice catch light on the eye!

Lance Peters
09-06-2010, 04:27 PM
Hi Joel - agree with the above comments - like the light and the water ripples reflected back onto the body.
Does it need any CCW rotation??
Do you know how to check?

Peter Farrell
09-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Beautiful light. The birds reflecion in the water and the reflection of the ripples on the bird a lot to the image.
Peter