PDA

View Full Version : Rose and leaves

Desmond Chan
09-05-2010, 11:08 PM
300f4 + D700 on tripod. ISO 500 f8 1/125s. Outdoor, overcast, all natural light.

Cropped to 8 x 10 format. Cloned out one leave in the corner. Adjusted contrast slightly.

Comments welcome and appreciated !!

Thank you for looking !

Ken Childs
09-06-2010, 06:50 AM
Desmond, I like this as presented but that one leaf pointing at us is problematic. If this is your flower, I would have considered cutting off that leaf before taking the shot. I would also like to have just a bit more DOF but maybe that wasn't possible in this situation. How did you get a black BG with all natural light?

As an afterthought, I loaded this into CS3 and lowered the brightness and liked it even better that way. Made it more 'moody'. :)

Roman Kurywczak
09-06-2010, 10:29 AM
Hey Desmond,
Agree with Ken that this is nice as presented and about the OOF leaf facing us on the left being a bit distracting......but not a deal breaker. I hope you took just the bud too......really nice light and color with the close leaves framing it. I like the dark green BG and how it sets the rose off.....so overall a very nice job composing this.

Desmond Chan
09-06-2010, 12:18 PM
How did you get a black BG with all natural light?

One word: exposure. The presence of a already dark, shadowed area in the background also helped. It was shot in a public garden, outdoor.

I had an incident light meter with me and I did not follow the histogram. If I based my exposure on what the histogram looked like, the background would be brighter, and the flowers, the leaves would be ever-exposed. Then in post, I further adjusted it with levels a bit and tuned down some brighter spots.

Thank you for the comments guys !!

Julie Kenward
09-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Agree with the others about the leaves - not perfect but not a deal breaker. It's the color of the rose that has me staring at this one...wow, is that a beauty! What a great job you did keeping the corals in check and against that dark BG - you really got some bang for the buck!

Bob Miller
09-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Hi Desmond....I really like this! It has a nice balance to the composition and the rose itself is exposed perfectly! I have no problem with any of the leaves!

Anita Bower
09-09-2010, 06:05 PM
You captured this bud at the perfect moment. It is just lovely. Great colors and composition. No need to repeat points made above. Very nice.