PDA

View Full Version : Juvenile ibis landing

Troy Lim
09-05-2010, 08:45 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4087/4955394215_1287a197ba_b.jpg

Personally, catching a juvenile ibis landing is one of the hardest bird in flight shots as they would make a sharp turn right before landing, not just a straight landing.
Left wing could have been in a better position but I am happy I got this shot. There is always next time, gives me something to look forward to.

Camera Nikon D700
Exposure 0.001 sec (1/1250)
Aperture f/5.6
Focal Length 600 mm
ISO Speed 400
Exposure Bias -1/3 EV
Flash No Flash

Lance Peters
09-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Hi Troy - very nice - agree with your own comments about the wing - but still like this a lot!!
I might selectively sharpen the Ibis a little more, BG looks good, could probably soften the darker area's that forma bit of a line from the LHS inwards.
Nicely done!!

Troy Lim
09-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Hi Troy - very nice - agree with your own comments about the wing - but still like this a lot!!
I might selectively sharpen the Ibis a little more, BG looks good, could probably soften the darker area's that forma bit of a line from the LHS inwards.
Nicely done!!

Lance, thank you.

Indranil Sircar
09-06-2010, 12:34 AM
Excellent capture, Troy. Good exposure and love the pose as is. TFS.

Bill Dix
09-06-2010, 08:57 AM
Hi Troy. Great job capturing a tough shot. Wonderful pose, exposure, comp, sharpness and head position. Agree with your self-critique about wing position but still a great shot. It seemed to me it might be made even better with a little more pop (contrast and saturation) to the bird, and the bg seemed a bit splotchy and distracting. I took the liberty of a 1-minute alteration, using a Soft Light blending layer at 20% opacity for the pop, and a slight Surface Blur (radius 7, threshold 8) on the bg. Might have gone a bit more on the latter. Hope you don't mind.

Troy Lim
09-06-2010, 10:23 AM
Thank you all. Bill, that is a great improvement. Thank you. I will apply the same settings to it...

Julie Kenward
09-06-2010, 03:05 PM
Troy, what a beautiful image! You really exposed well to get such detail in the underwings and body areas. I love the turn of the head, the legs in the "landing" position and the way the wings are stretched. I'd definitely look at lightening those darker bands at the top and bottom of the frame (or else duplicate them on the sides to create a vignette look!)

denise ippolito
09-06-2010, 03:15 PM
Beautiful image Troy! I love the in coming landing pose and the nice details. I think that Bill's repost looks good.

Mark Young
09-07-2010, 03:23 AM
Nicely composition and exposure. Bill's repost is a nice improvement.