PDA

View Full Version : Hummingbird

Michael Yessik
09-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Normally I would go for a tighter crop on the bird, but this for me is more about the colors, so I left quite a bit of the flowers in the foreground and the leaves in the background. How do others feel about the composition?

Nikon D300, 500mm, f5.6, 1/125s with fill flash

Bob Miller
09-05-2010, 04:09 PM
HI Mike....Nice capture of the hummer....foreground is Ok but background is too distracting( choppy) for me

Lance Peters
09-05-2010, 04:34 PM
Hi Michael - like the hummer - a little more sharpening perhaps...Like how you can just see the wings and the foreground one is clear of the head.
The yellow and greens in the BG are somewhat distracting - maybe reducing the saturation and lightness might help a little.
Doing well.

Julie Kenward
09-05-2010, 06:00 PM
I agree with Lance and Bob - beautiful bird and FG - BG is way too distracting! Nice job on freezing the bird and leaving a bit of motion in the wings.

Michael Yessik
09-05-2010, 06:56 PM
I lowered the brightness and saturation of the BG somewhat, and a little more sharpening of the bird. The BG is still pretty prominent. Opinions?

denise ippolito
09-05-2010, 07:22 PM
Michael, Nice to see you posting! I like the hummer and great suggestions already given. I might crop some off the top, bottom and back if it were mine so it doesn't over power the small hummer as much. Right now the hummer is kind of centered. Thanks for sending me the group shot I appreciate it and say hi to Christine. PS- Don't be a stranger.:)

Michael Yessik
09-05-2010, 10:11 PM
Thanks, Denise. I'll take your advice and crop.

denise ippolito
09-06-2010, 07:56 AM
Michael, Just remember this is your interpretation of the scene. It is your image and the way you choose to present it is up to you. We are just giving "our" opinions and suggestions hoping to help you improve the image. In the end it has to please you.:)

Julie Kenward
09-06-2010, 09:35 AM
Denise is right - but I do like the crop much better!