PDA

View Full Version : Getting closer

Roman Kurywczak
09-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Went out for the afternoon with Don Hamilton Jr to one of my favorite places in SE Florida....Butterfly World. As we were walking out found this bloom. I found the center the most interesting.

Canon 1D Mark lll with the Sigma 180mm macro and the 20mm Kenko extension tube at f29 for 1/60 sec. and ISO 1000 and the MT24 twin flashes at minus 1. I actually blurred some of the upper petals to soften some of the details. 90% full frame Hand Held.

Jay Sheinfield
09-05-2010, 01:53 PM
Hey Roman,

Cool flower! Nice colors, ROT frame. Can't decide if it could use a dash of contrast, maybe so. It would be great if those wormy things were in focus at the tips, but no biggie. like the radiating lines, too!

Bob Miller
09-05-2010, 06:19 PM
HI Roman......amazing flower ....alien looking...colors are too much. Wish it were a bit more focused somewhere!

Desmond Chan
09-05-2010, 11:56 PM
Are those fingers...and...wow...is that what I'm seeing...this's a family site, right? A lot of weird stuff in there..:p Good find, great capture.

Ken Childs
09-06-2010, 06:14 AM
Roman, this is a really interesting and alien-like flower!
I like the subject and the comp but the colors seem too strong. Maybe that's how they were.

I hope you don't mind but I desaturated, + contrast, + brightness. Then I selectively sharpened some of the various 'thingys'. :)

Roman Kurywczak
09-06-2010, 09:35 AM
Hey Ken,
I like your version too! I didn't desaturate the blues....I already did the reds. I noticed it could use some extra sharpening after I posted.....so will do that. Thanks! Yes Desmond.....that was one weird inside of a bloom.

Dave Leroy
09-06-2010, 10:36 AM
Neat looking flower Roman. It is a whole other world out there in macro!
And good for you to do it hh.

The additional sharpening works nicely.

Dave

Connie Mier
09-06-2010, 11:52 AM
Very cool shot, Roman, I think Ken's version brought out more detail, but I like your original post very much. I am seeing several comments here and on my post concerning desaturation. I have to admit, never considered that as a method to improve a photo since I am new to macro, but I am beginning to see the wisdom of it! Thanks again for the continuing education credits.:)
Connie
PS I think I would like to see this composed more horizontally centered, just a afterthought.

Katherine Enns
09-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Very nice shot, I like both the original and the work done on the image by Ken. The light green knob is the ovary, stigma and style. The dangling parts are the anthers and filaments. Sheesh, you guys...:2eyes2:

kat

Jay Sheinfield
09-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Haven't laughed so hard in ages..............thank you for that. :D

Anthers, wormy things........................potatoes, potawtoes! The guys knew what it meant...............:D:D:D

Katherine Enns
09-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Well, I hoped so. Human male anatomy may still be a mystery to some of us though. :p

ps. i was just jokin'...

Roman Kurywczak
09-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Glad we're keeping it clean:D. I'm with Jay on the wormy things.......much easier to remember! I hope my male brain can remember some of the real terms .....it is the weakest link;).