PDA

View Full Version : Biking to Photo Location??

Mark Theriot
09-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Thinking about getting back into biking after many many years out. There are some photo sites that are 3 or 4 miles away by trail and walking doesn't allow me enough time to get back there soon enough. Does anyone use a bike to travel to shooting locations?

The thought of carrying $10K worth of gear on my back while biking does concern me a little . . .:D. If I'm not nuts and others do this, any advice on bikes, carrying equipment, tips, tricks etc?

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Dave Leroy
09-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Hi Mark,

I do a fair bit of biking and do carry a camera and a couple lenses from time to time, a 17/40mm and perhaps a 70/200mm with IS. I have had no problems.

I have panniers and a bag on my rack. I place everything securely in the bags so they can't be rattled around and away I go.

I also bike mainly on pavement and if on gravel trails, they will be in good shape with few or no ruts.

I think if I were to bike on back country or cross country trails I would be more concerned if falling was an issue.

I have also seen mention of concern about long lenses and potential issues with IS/VR.

I hope I have been of some help.

Dave

Mark Theriot
09-06-2010, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the info - need to look into the vibration issue.

Mark

Cal Walters
09-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Mark, i do the same. Here on the SF bay there is a nice trail - hard but not paved. I use a Canon 7D with a 100-400. There are lots of locations so I don't like to open & close the cases, but there is also dust to consider. There are some shell paniers that can offer more protection. I think the brand is Jannd from Germany. There is a bike guy in Boulder who is a dealer and can get just about anything. What I have done is to get a camera back-pack - Canon makes a nice one. It holds lots of lenses, bird books, even my iPad - and you can get a card reader dongle that lets you use it as a preview screen - a big one. Anyway, the backpack gets me into the site and then I tend to use the Black Rapid strap once I am there and making short hops. You do have to be careful to make sure the lens does not hit the straddle bar.

Roger Clark
09-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the info - need to look into the vibration issue.

Mark,
I wouldn't be too concerned about the vibrations on a bike with your gear in a pack. A safari on the Serenegti is brutal. The roads, when you are on roads, are really rough, and when off road, they really mean no road. Sometimes I have my 500 on the roof while moving and the vibrations are quite strong. I've never had a problem. When traveling far I put the gear in the photo pack and not had a problem.

So on a bike, a bike with shocks and the gear in padded pouches should be plenty to keep the gear safe. If you carry the gear in a backpack (on your back), your body will insulate it from vibrations.

Roger

James Shadle
09-10-2010, 09:18 AM
Mark,
I have a fair bit of experience biking with gear.

My bike is a Gary Fisher "Y Bike" Full Suspension. It is comfortable, fast and does not beat the rider or gear up.
IMO there are two options for carrying a lot of gear.
A backpack or a trailer. http://tonystrailers.com/ , http://www.bicycletrailers.com/Burley-Flatbed.pro

You may be able to find a trailer with springs, that would be great for single track with Palmetto roots.;)
http://www.tonystrailers.com/options/suspension.jpg

Robert Amoruso
09-10-2010, 10:29 AM
Good info James. Thanks.

Gary Chappel
09-12-2010, 12:34 PM
I frequently bike with a 70-200 f2.8 with a cotton carrier, and a backpack with a 300 f4 and a wide angle. Works pretty well- I would not want to fall, but careful riding is easy.
I am looking at a trailer, to be able to haul more stuff
Gary

Mark Theriot
09-15-2010, 09:27 PM
Thanks for all the info. I've gotten really comfortable with my 400 in a Thinktank backpack. (I'll be trying out the 500 next month but I don't think it will be a problem).

Only disadvantage to the pack is I've come across some great shots that have "flown the coop" by the time I get the camera out! I'm not comfortable riding with the camera on my black rapid - I may give the cotton carrier another look.

Mark