PDA

View Full Version : Pectoral Sandpiper

Mike Milicia
09-05-2010, 12:01 AM
EOS-1D Mk IV, 500mm f/4 + 1,4xII, 1/400, f/5.6, ISO 1600
About 85% of Full Frame
Removed a few specks of sand from the bill.

This image was captured this past Friday morning on Plum Island in MA.

It was shaping up to be a good morning of photography with lots of nice birds around and the sky starting to cloud over just after sunrise with the approaching Hurricane Earl when I was told that they were closing the beach "in an abundance of caution" for the storm that was not supposed to start until well into the afternoon or evening. Fortunately, they were good enough to allow me stay until 9 am but it was still tough to leave. Also fortunately the storm turned out be pretty inconsequential in the Greater Boston area but they still had the beach closed at sunrise on Saturday so I couldn't return to try and get this guy with feet. Actually, I got some great poses complete with feet on this same morning but the bird's bill was completely covered in mud at the time ... don't you hate when that happens?

For the birders out there, does the reddish brown near the "shoulder" make this a juvenile?

Looking forward to your comments and critiques !

Mike Milicia
09-05-2010, 12:17 AM
After posting, I realized this should probably have a border around it.
You used to be able to edit the post and remove the attachment and replace it with a new image but you don't seem to be able to do that any more so here is a "repost" with the border.

Tony Whitehead
09-05-2010, 03:01 AM
Repost with the frame is a good call, Mike. I like the low angle and feather detail with great HA. I night crop a little from below and add it above to lower the bird in the frame. Maybe a touch more sharpening for web presentation?

Jim Fenton
09-05-2010, 09:20 AM
Lovely pectoral with a nice pose.

Love the soft light and the almost high key effect.

I tried to get down to SP that afternoon for shorebirds but by that time, they had long since closed the darned road.

Bill Dix
09-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Beautiful image of this species, legs or not. I don't usually use frames, but seeing it here with and without may change my mind -- it does help. Another vote for shifting the bird slightly down in the frame. I'm hoping to get to Plum Island in a few weeks if you've left me any birds. Any advice on which parts of the island are the most productive (will hopefully be there to shoot in both morning and evening light).

Mike Milicia
09-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Any advice on which parts of the island are the most productive (will hopefully be there to shoot in both morning and evening light).
The vast majority of my photography on Plum Island has been for shorebirds at Sandy Point which is a State Reservation at the southern tip of the island. It can be hit or miss but there are usually at least a few subjects around. It can work well with either morning or evening light but, in my experience, seems best with an outgoing tide. I have had good opportunities there through the third week of September or so hopefully you won't be too late. Maybe others can chime in on their experience with the rest of the island in September. Good luck!

Jim Fenton
09-05-2010, 01:09 PM
Personally I don't think Plum Island is a worthy trip this year. #'s have been way down perhaps due to the fact that the shorebirds are feeding and roosting way out in the middle of the Stage Island pool where you can't go...nor can you see them.

In general, since the Sandy Point beach was restructured by last winters storms, I think overall bird #'s and species #'s have declined.

Mike Milicia
09-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Bill, If you are thinking of making a special trip up here just for bird photography at Plum Island then I would definitely agree with Jim's assessment that it's most likely not going to be worth it. If, on the other hand, you are going to be nearby for other reasons and are just looking for places in the immediate vicinity that may or may not pan out during some limited spare time, it might be worth giving it a try at least once.

Bill Dix
09-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Bill, If you are thinking of making a special trip up here just for bird photography at Plum Island then I would definitely agree with Jim's assessment that it's most likely not going to be worth it. If, on the other hand, you are going to be nearby for other reasons and are just looking for places in the immediate vicinity that may or may not pan out during some limited spare time, it might be worth giving it a try at least once.
Thanks Mike and Jim. I guess we fall into the 'on the other hand' category: we'll be passing through the area on the way back from Maine, and having never been to Parker River/Sandy Point, decided to stay overnight in Newburyport to check it out. According to the bar charts on e-Bird, it seems that the yellowlegs, plovers and peeps should still be around, although maybe diminishing by then. If it's been a bad year, I won't get my hopes up, but I sure would like to get a Pectoral Sandpiper.:)

Jim Neiger
09-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Very nice. I like the low angle, pose, and smooth bg-fg. I think it needs a touch more sharpening on the bird.

Lloyd Spitalnik
09-05-2010, 05:10 PM
Hi Mike, Since nobody answered your original question, yes it's a juvenile. You can see all the feathers are neatly arranged in rows and all have beautifully scalloped feather edges. This holds true in all shorebirds.
Very nice image.

Kiran Poonacha
09-06-2010, 06:40 AM
Beautiful loved the angle, pose, details and the painting like effect here.. nicely done.

allanrube
09-09-2010, 11:14 AM
According to the bar charts on e-Bird, it seems that the yellowlegs, plovers and peeps should still be around, although maybe diminishing by then. If it's been a bad year, I won't get my hopes up, but I sure would like to get a Pectoral Sandpiper.:)

Except for Sandy Point and Salt Pannes, PI is much better for birders viewing shorebirds than for us photographers. The shorebirds at stage island pool, bill forward pool, new blind, and other spots mentioned are too far away - and Jim and I shoot cropped bodies, 600 lens with tcs.