Sensing Method = One-chip color area sensor
Exposure Mode = Manual exposure
White Balance = Auto white balance
Focal Length In 35mm Film = 157mm
Lens = Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 VR

HH and Strobela was used...

Julie Kenward
09-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Adrian, what a beautiful specimen! Nice sharpness across entire butterfly - too bad you couldn't squeak out that front antenna tip.

I like the pose of the butterfly but wonder if you had tilted the camera a bit CCW if you couldn't have gotten the same pose but with far less of the OOF leaf. I think that would have taken this image up another notch - but it's still very strong as presented.

Jonathan Ashton
09-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Beautifully detailed butterfly, i hope this doesn't sound back handed but I think had you not been quite so close it would have been even better, the butterfly would not be quite so tight in the frame and you would have had a little more DOF.

Adrian David
09-05-2010, 01:43 AM
Thank you very much to all of you! As the title say, this butterfly was hidden in some kind of weed bush.The leaves were pretty big, and he was standing relatively perpendicular on it. Not being so close, was not possible, cause there were leaves
all over, and they were obstructing the view....so the only possibility for me was to get trough the leaves and get closer...After a few shots, he flew away, and never perched on a reachable perch...so, that's all that I have...:(

Allen Sparks
09-05-2010, 05:25 AM
wow - I like it as is tight in the frame and all...great details. Can't believe this is a HH image. Nice job.

Ken Childs
09-05-2010, 09:21 AM
Adrian, this looks good as is but it would look great if you'd been able to squeeze out just a bit more DOF. Those OOF antennae and the tips of the legs are the only things I can find wrong.

I read your description of how you took this shot so a smaller aperture may not have been possible.

Roman Kurywczak
09-05-2010, 10:54 AM
Hey Adrian,
Great advice given above and can't add much given your circumstances. I want to leave you with something to keep in mind......even HH......you may want to sacrifice some SS...especially when using flash....to eek out the touch more DOF. Try 1/125 and see if that works with your combo. I still think this was nicely done and a keeper.....those few differences would take it to a whole other level.

Art Kornienko
09-11-2010, 07:52 AM
The others have said it, love the detail and colours, congrats on HH and getting that close.