PDA

View Full Version : Greater Yellowlegs Splash

Aidan Briggs
09-04-2010, 01:52 PM
A Greater Yellowlegs from a while back. Not that with the bird in this pose, you pretty much have to include the reflection for the comp to be balanced, even if it is blurry.

50D, 100-400 at 250mm
1/1000, f/5.6m, ISO 640

Jim Fenton
09-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Maybe it's just me, but this seems unbalanced.

I would prefer to have the subject lower in the frame and maybe crop it just below the head portion of the reflection. The most inportnat part of the image here is above the water line...not below it so I don't feel the need to include the entire reflection.

Also, due to the direction of the subject and the head / eye position relative to the overall frame, it feels to me like it needs more room on the left.

Ian Anderson
09-04-2010, 02:57 PM
The exposure and focus are excellent but I agree, the reflection really throws this off. It's distracting and detracts from the otherwise excellent image. You might try blurring the reflection to make it less harsh and maybe even a very light dodge would help as well. That or a crop a bit below where the beak is in the water, particularly if you have more room above the bird in the uncropped photo.

denise ippolito
09-04-2010, 07:53 PM
Aidan, I like the pose and the splash. I think you did a good job w/ the comp. and your reflection isn't terribly distorted it looks more like a water washed effect.:)

Troy Lim
09-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Love the image....great shot.

Stu Bowie
09-05-2010, 01:40 AM
Aidan, I like the low perspective, light, and softer colours in this. IMHO, this comp works for me as is.