PDA

View Full Version : Sacred Kingfisher (Todiramphus sanctus)

Mark Young
09-04-2010, 01:50 AM
One taken up in Hamilton a couple of months ago.

The bird was looking for insects on the sand and would stop on the sand, watch for prey and then quickly fly and grab it. It is the first time I've ever seen a Kingfisher hunt from the ground. There were no trees around, and pretty much nothing else. What I was aiming for was to convey a sense of openness and isolation.

The IQ isn't really there, but I was hoping to get some feedback on whether their is any merit in this style of composition.

Canon 400 300f4+1.4tc, ISO200, f5.6, 1/1000

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
09-04-2010, 02:02 AM
I did get a sense of openness and isolation from the image and I like it. I might try for more DOF because it's hard for me to see that the ground is sand at the first glance. I also might put the bird a tiny bit lower in the frame.

Lance Peters
09-04-2010, 06:45 PM
Hi Mark - agree on the IQ - I quite like the composition does gives a sense of isolation - might have tried a pano crop.
Like the low angle.

Indranil Sircar
09-04-2010, 09:42 PM
Mark, I like the composition and it does give the sense of isolation. It is an unusual setting for a kingfisher to be hunting for insects on the ground. I too think a pano crop may work better or taking a bit of the top might enhance the image.

Bob Miller
09-05-2010, 05:41 PM
I vote for a pano crop! You have a nice capture of a difficult subject...low angle lends intimacy!

Mark Young
09-06-2010, 06:39 AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback, I don't think I've ever done a pano crop before, so hoping this is what you all meant.