PDA

View Full Version : Rhino

Nico Steenberg
09-03-2010, 01:30 PM
Sabyasachi, has ask me in a previous Rhino thread what is the maximum amount of punishment for poaching a rhino in SA is. Wasn't sure and i ask Dr Sam Ferreira, a large mammal ecologist from SANParks and he emailed me the following.

Protected Area Act: In a special nature reserve, national park or world heritage site “poaching” of rhino (illegal hunting, catching, capturing or killing) falls within a restricted activity (per offense) with a penalty of imprisonment not exceeding 5 years and a fine (not limited) or both imprisonment and a fine (not limited).

Not a good photo, mother is distracting and the road doesn't help also.

Robert Amoruso
09-03-2010, 04:38 PM
Nico, I agree with you self-critique but offer a suggestion for improvement in similar situations.

Juxtaposition of the baby with the much larger mother would work if both were shown and the mother not cropped out.

The road would be minimized in comparison to the much larger female mom and the stronger juxtaposition of the two.

Lorant Voros
09-05-2010, 11:51 AM
It is always a special experience to see these great creatures. I feel very sad to hear all the news about how many rhinos have been killed and I wonder what the future is for them. The punishment is not reflecting the crime in my opinion...

Light was very nice here. Would have been nice to catch them before they came out to the road. Agree with having the mother in would make it a very good one.

Lorant