09-03-2010, 11:45 AM
Canon 40D
Canon 70-200 at 200mm
1/200"
F14
ISO 800
EC +.33

OK, how about this one?

this one is 3/4 full frame, though I am wondering if I should crop the top half out. it is saved at 80% in order to fit size limits. I like the drapery of the web and drops better in this image, but the color is so boring.... is there a way to fix that too?

Jerry van Dijk
09-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Hi Cheryl, they are really pieces of art, aren't they, these dewy webs? I'd suggest to take some of the top. It will make the proportion of colored BG larger, which may solve part of your problem with the BG color. If you're really bothered by the color, you could try a selective color replacement of the gray, but I'm not sure what will happen to the reflections if you do.
I kind of like that there's some environment showing, although others may prefer a cleaner look. I was a bit bothered, however, by the plant showing along the left side of the frame, so I'd take a sliver off the left as well. Here's what I came up with.

Alan Melle
09-03-2010, 01:40 PM
Personally, I like the image just fine as it is. The splash of green at the bottom is all it needs to provide some color. A very nice image!

Roman Kurywczak
09-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Hey Cheryl,
I think Jerry made some great points but for me the distracting part was the left and the other branches. You asked if there was anything you could do?......sure! in the field....find one with a more pleasing BG.....or put your own in! Yes.....sacrilidgious I know!......print a pleasing BG on matte paper......largest size you can.....and hold that behind the web! Since you are using natural light.....you won't get shadows from flash......and you can try different BG's to suit your tastes! If done correctly......we shouldn't be able to tell!

Ken Childs
09-03-2010, 03:39 PM
Cheryl, I think the web and drops look fantastic but those 2 branches are killing an otherwise fantastic shot. The foliage along the left edge doesn't bother me. It seems to anchor the web.

If it were me, I would have used some clippers to remove those 2 branches. :)

Cheryl Flory
09-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Ken, I actually had clippers with me during this shot, but the web was partially connected to the thistle to the left and the right.

thank you everyone for your help! I really appreciate it.

Anita Bower
09-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Hurrah for continuing to work at water drops and spider webs! This web is lovely. The BG branches do bother me, especially those on the left, hence I prefer Jerry's crop.

Cheryl Flory
09-07-2010, 06:02 AM
Thanks, everyone! I appreciate it.