PDA

View Full Version : Green Catbird (Ailuroedus crassirostris) Matcham Valley NSW

Rod Warnock
09-02-2010, 06:59 PM
Green Catbird (Ailuroedus crassirostris) Matcham Valley NSW
Canon EOS 40D Lens 100-400mm L IS USM at 400mm ISO 800 F 5.6 1/400 Fill Flash 1 September 2010
Green Catbirds often flighty and timid but then also likely to strike a pose so it is a matter of being ready and quick plus a lot of images that you will not be seeing here soon!!! While largely a fruit eater the catbird will abandon being a frugivore and feed the young of other birds to catbird young which was something I did not realise. The Green Catbird while grouped with bowerbirds do not build bowers and are monogamous with both sexes attending the nest.

Thanks for viewing
Best regards
Rod Warnock

Bill Holsten
09-02-2010, 08:59 PM
Beautiful bird and striking image. Lovely study in green and very sharp! Wonderful detail on the breast. A bit more DOF to sharpen the tail would have been great, but from your tech specs that apparently was not in the cards. I would crop a bit more loosely adding a bit of space on the left for the bird to look into. I would also darken the white bopeh in the BKGR LRC to keep the viewer's eye on the bird.

Arthur Morris
09-02-2010, 11:52 PM
Beautiful bird and pose. Love the breast feather detail. Wish that the bird's front end were leaning a bit more towards us. Excellent use of fill flash.

Joe Senzatimore
09-03-2010, 06:04 AM
Love this one. Just wish for a bit more room as I find it a little tight. Wonderful color and detail and a great piece of info in the story as well. TFS!!!!!!

Colin Driscoll
09-03-2010, 06:19 AM
Nice to get that bird Rod, excellent detail and colour. Agree with a wider crop if possible. Just to add to your notes, they are Catbirds because they 'meouw' like a cat.

Stu Bowie
09-03-2010, 09:49 AM
A species I havent seen before. Good forward leaning pose, and I like the colour and detail. Great eye too.

Nico Steenberg
09-03-2010, 02:47 PM
Great close up details and flash work. Like the pose and colours. Well captured

Ofer Levy
09-03-2010, 04:59 PM
Very nice shot of this shy bird Rod! Maybe a bit big in the frame for me but still very effective.

Rod Warnock
09-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Thank you all for your comments. I tend to crop a bit tight a hangover from the slide days and PSA Internationals where one felt the subject had to grab attention..perhaps an error ?? but it did seem to work then. Colin: I should have mentioned the Catbird call and the reason for it's name, thanks!
Best regards
Rod Warnock

Arthur Morris
09-11-2010, 02:32 PM
As for the size of the bird in the frame, this is right on the edge for me but still very acceptable.