PDA

View Full Version : Theme Birds in Habitat: Black-necked Stilt

Jason G. Harrison
09-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Observed a male and female BN Stilt in several courtship displays. I captured this female after such a session on her way back to the nest, which already had chicks in it. Guess with the continued courtship displays, they were not quite done yet:o.

Self Critique: I am thinking of going back and re-processing this for more room. I have a bit more room to give it on top, as I feel it might be a tad too tight on the crop.

D300, 600VR, 1.4tc, f/7.1, ISO 400, 1/1600th, -.3EV compensation

http://www.jasongharrison.com/images/9461_v2_S.jpg

Hope you enjoyed and as always C&C welcomed and encouraged.

Kaustubh Deshpande
09-02-2010, 04:47 PM
Jason, the pose is terrific and angle of the bird to the sensor is perfect. Light was clearly working against you. Liked the habitat a lot. Yes, it does need more room IMO. at bottom, top and front. So if you just have more room at top and add it, might not look balanced. A little warming up can also help I feel.

Austin Thomas
09-02-2010, 05:41 PM
Hi Jason,

A lovely subject and the raised foot is a real bonus. The light does look a little harsh and I agree with your self critique. In addition I would add some back to the bottom as well as I am guessing the "hidden" foot is out of the frame.

tfs

Austin

Arthur Morris
09-03-2010, 12:00 AM
Yes, this needs more room all around especially below where you have cut off the virtual feet. Sharpness excellent. Raised foot and and perfect subject orientation are plusses.

Jason G. Harrison
09-03-2010, 07:32 AM
Here is another try. I may have went too far in recovering the harsh shadows, but detail is still there. I also added some warmth to the shadow area, and a tiny bit to the overall image.

http://www.jasongharrison.com/images/9461_v3_S.jpg

Thanks,

Jason

Arthur Morris
09-03-2010, 08:19 AM
It is much better with more room and the reduced contrast. All that I would do now is lighten/brighten the red iris.

Daniel Cadieux
09-03-2010, 01:46 PM
The repost looks much better, the comp nice and roomy. I love how the bird's raised ankle is wrapped AROUND a grass stem...very cool!!