PDA

View Full Version : Cloudless Sulphur

Allen Sparks
09-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Canon 40D, 300 f4 plus 1.4x teleconverter, monopod
ISO 400, f11, 1/800s

I liked the Green butterfly/red flower with dark background of this shot. Does the leaf cutting into the butterfly kill the shot though?

Steve Maxson
09-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Good sharpness on the butterfly and I, too, like the dark (but not black) background here, Allen - it really sets off the pastels of the butterfly and the reds of the flower. The leaf in front of the butterfly does not bother me at all. Well done.

Julie Kenward
09-03-2010, 09:23 AM
I agree with Steve's assessment - the BG really does set off the light green of the butterfly and the red flower is a beautiful shock of color. There's a partial OOF stem at the bottom of the frame that I might try to smooth away. I also wouldn't mind seeing the stem enter from the bottom of the frame instead of the side corner - giving it just a little more room on that left edge. Lovely image overall, Allen. Definitely another keeper!

Ken Childs
09-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Allen, great detail on the butterfly!
While the leaf doesn't kill the shot, IMO I think having it in front on the butterfly and the one petal does detract from this otherwise very nice shot.

Roman Kurywczak
09-03-2010, 02:45 PM
Hey Allen,
I'm with Ken on the leaves......but still a keeper!!!.....just would be that much stronger w/o it.....but overall.....very well done!

Jonathan Ashton
09-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Wow it's a cracker! It would have been better if the leaf wasn't there but it doesn't really bother me, i suspect you could clone it and because the butterfly is a such a gem most people wouldn't notice!