PDA

View Full Version : Paper Wasp Queen #2

Steve Maxson
09-02-2010, 01:29 PM
Same wasp, same setup, different lens. 40D, MP-E 65 mm, 1/250, f/16, ISO 100, MT-24 macro twin lites (diffused), tripod. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Jerry van Dijk
09-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Nice! You've got to love that lens. Especially with the twin lights, it seems a winning combination for macro! I like the colors of the wasp and the BG and all the nice details that are showing. This close, I'm a bit bothered by the upside down position, which wasn't a problem in your other image. This image is really about showing al the details we normally can't see, so I don't want to be distracted by trying to turn it in my head :). My advice would be to consider a 180 degree rotation.

Allen Sparks
09-02-2010, 02:32 PM
I agree with all the positive points Jerry made except the rotation. I like the upside down orientation as I think this is more naturally what we would see in nature. Great lighting, color, and details.

Ken Childs
09-02-2010, 05:40 PM
I'm in total agreement with Allen. The shot looks 'right' as is.

Julie Kenward
09-03-2010, 09:37 AM
Steve, two little spots stand out to me that you might consider cloning over (marked with the green arrows) and I'd also look at bringing up the really dark areas of the top of the frame as well - just to even them out with the rest of the stuff. This is a really cool "in your face" presentation and, for once, I like that it's upside down. ;)

Roman Kurywczak
09-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Hey Steve,
Another great image with that lens. I must confess I would prefer it rotated......but does work as presented too! Sharp where it need it and great close up of the face! Minor touch up Jules recommended will make it perfect!

Craig Markham
09-09-2010, 02:38 AM
Steve, wonderful detail of the head -- mandibles, eyes and head plates -- a very businesslike visage! I agree 100% with your true-to-life image orientation -- the wasps build downward-hanging nests, and must walk upside down to tend them. That's their world, even if it is a bit disconcerting to us human viewers. While I agree with Jules that the merged OOF legs are slightly distracting photographically, the biologist in me resists cloning out the rear legs. I'm glad you diffused your flash; it softened the catchlights and revealed some of the individual ommatidial facets on the eye surfaces. Nice compositional balance. The antenna on the right draws the eye to the face nicely.

Craig