PDA

View Full Version : Redpoll

Austin Thomas
09-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Hi all,

I am not exactly sure what kind of Redpoll this is, so I would welcome your suggestions.
It was photographed inside the Arctic Circle in Finland back in June on an overcast and rainy day.

Canon 1DMK4, 500mm f5.6, 1/500 ISO800

C&C most welcome.

Cheers

Austin

Lloyd Spitalnik
09-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Hi Austin, Nice image but there appears to be a magenta cast on your photo. Maybe it's just my screen. I also think you can stand a round of noise reduction. Based on your specs I'm guessing it was somewhat dark shooting conditions.

Daniel Cadieux
09-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Yes, there is definitely a magenta cast on the image, and the bird itself could go lighter. I like the curved perch and you have yourself a beautiful green BG. I love the little black feet.

The slope from the forehead and bill kinda suggest Hoary, but its hard to tell if the feathers are playing tricks here. On the other hand the bill seems a bit big for Hoary. Hard to tell - hopefully someone can positively chime in.

Joe Senzatimore
09-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Can't help with the ID but I too see the cast. Still a fine image.

Jonathan Ashton
09-02-2010, 03:29 PM
Could it be the Arctic Redpoll? Lovely shot, there does appear to be a slight magenta cast on my monitor too.

Arthur Morris
09-03-2010, 12:19 AM
In the field ID of the two species is extremely difficult. Ditto for photos..... Good critiques above.