Canon 40D
Tamron 90mm macro
1/100"
f6.3
ISO 400
EC 0.0
Auto white balance
tripod, but slight wind

Yes, the image is on its side, I wanted to post it larger so you can see where the problems are. So since I cropped it vertical, I posted it tipped over.

Local camera club next "assignment" is "drops". I tried some shots of dew, but the images just aren't quite right. I would have liked much more dof, but with the wind, I just couldn't get any more.

Where do I go from here???? :confused:

Jerry van Dijk
09-02-2010, 01:41 PM
Hi Cheryl, don't be too unhappy about this one, because I like it! I would suggest keeping the image tipped over. Strong points are the immaculate background, the fact that you have the largest drop showing the surroundings in the FG and in focus. Also, you have a nice diagonal, which is counterbalanced by the single drop in the UL corner. It would have worked even better if this drop was on the UL ROT hotspot, but it works nice as it is. I'm not bothered by the fact that the horizon in the reflection is off by 90 degrees. I didn't notice it until I started to really think about it.
I think when you are able to get the center piece of anttention (the large FG drop) and it's counterweight (the small drop in the UL corner) both in ROT positions, you'll have an amazing image. But as I said, I like this as presented!

Cheryl Flory
09-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Thanks for taking the time to comment, Jerry. What do you mean ROT hot spot??

Cheryl Flory
09-02-2010, 02:34 PM
ohhhhhhhhh, I remember, does it mean "Rule of Thirds"??? :D

(hey, what can I say.... some of us are sloooow learners. :))

Jerry van Dijk
09-02-2010, 03:24 PM
You've got it Cheryl!

Anita Bower
09-03-2010, 06:29 AM
Cheryl:

Great composition! Jerry gave you some good comments. The diagonal lines and the seamless BG are strong elements here. Also, the in-focus large drop, which is perfectly placed. I like the composition very much. I think it would also work rotated CW. Once rotated, I'd crop some off the top. Initially, the sideway's view of the surrounding area bothered me, but the more I look at it, the less bothered I am, though I still prefer the right side up one.

I don't have much more to offer. I have not successfully photographed dew drops and consider them a challenging subject. I'd suggest just taking more pictures!

Good work.

Cheryl Flory
09-03-2010, 06:34 AM
Thank you, Anita. I find them very challenging also! lol I have taken a lot of photos, but few turn out.

Anita Bower
09-03-2010, 06:50 AM
Are you inspired by seeing how others photograph a subject? If so, you might go to flickr and search for dew drops. Also, here is a technique described by one of our moderators, Mike Moats http://tinylanscapes.wordpress.com/2010/06/14/people-are-amazed/

Cheryl Flory
09-03-2010, 06:57 AM
Thanks for the link, Anita!! Boy, doesn't he make it sound easy! :D
He left out the part about "practice, practice, practice" (at least for me....)

Anita Bower
09-03-2010, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the link, Anita!! Boy, doesn't he make it sound easy! :D
He left out the part about "practice, practice, practice" (at least for me....)
You are right that he makes it sound easy. Practice, practice, practice is exactly what I do and need. :-)

Julie Kenward
09-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Cheryl, I also love this as presented. I think because your largest drop is in focus and the other drops are equally unfocused, this works. The diagonal lines are amazing and the clean BG and soft green color really strengthens what you have. You might not win an award in the camera club but I'd hang this on my wall.

One suggestion for you - I think if you had stood a bit more to the left you wouldn't have so many hot white spots in the circles - when photographing dew drops you really have to watch the light direction and make it work for you instead of against you.

Cheryl Flory
09-03-2010, 09:44 AM
Thanks for your comments and help, Julie.

(you mean I can't call them "catch lights" and pretend those white hot spots are good??? :D)

is there a way to create water drops so one can practice???

Ken Childs
09-03-2010, 10:09 AM
is there a way to create water drops so one can practice???
I can't say from experience but I know of people thickening up water with glycerin or corn syrup which supposedly makes water easier to work with. Let me know if it works. :)

Julie Kenward
09-03-2010, 01:59 PM
I've heard the same thing, Cheryl. Others just spray water on a plant until it's saturated and then wait for the drops to form.

Roman Kurywczak
09-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Hey Cheryl,
Regular water with a mist bottle will work.....but glycerine does help "stiffen" the water. Can you hang up a sheet to block some wind? At f16 or 22.....you may get sunbursts in the drops.....but SS is really slow. Given your settings.....I'd go to ISO 800 (pretty easy NR with that clean of a BG) and get to f16 and 1/30 sec. Being tripod mounted.....waiting for breeze to die down......taking 100.....to get 5.....would probably be the norm.......so blocking any bit of breeze can only help.

I would prefer this in the original orientation....as others mentioned.....sharp where it needs it and nice flow. You can also try concentrating on smaller areas.....or go wild.....use the flash at f32.....and 1/100 sec......BG goes black quickly and the flash should give you sunbursts also! Just some other options to play around with!