Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Av mode
1/800"
F5.6
ISO:400
LR & CS3
Tripod

Outside with berries in shade and BG in sun. I tried everything from f2.8 to f32 and this one looked the best.

Norm Dulak
09-02-2010, 09:17 AM
Sadly, this image doesn't work for me. It could be that posting one captured at a higher f stop number, which might produce a progression of decreasing sharp focus from the front to the back that is not so abrupt, would help. But I suppose that with the berries so close together, that won't be possible.

Allen Sparks
09-02-2010, 10:14 PM
Well, I have to say that I like this shot. I think it does show progressive sharpness loss starting with the lower berry in focus. I really like the sharpness and detail of the front lower berry. My eye is drawn to this front, sharp berry with the other berries providing a backdrop that is interesting to me.

Anita Bower
09-03-2010, 05:52 AM
Ken: What a wonderful surprise you gave me when I opened up this image--the details on the front berry. That makes this image. As many pokeberries as I've seen, I never noticed this detail--I guess I never tried taking a macro photo of them, which demonstrates why I love macro! Your dof choice works well for me. I like the light BG, which nicely sets off the dark berries. Maybe one needs to be familiar with pokeberries to appreciate this image. Well done.

Roman Kurywczak
09-03-2010, 02:12 PM
Hey Ken,
I'm OK with the DOF falloff from front to back.......but the BG is too competitive with the berries for me.....perhaps toning it down a touch? Very cool idea here just wonder if playing around with a bit of light (reflected from bottom).....may take this up another notch. Food for thought for next time out!

Ken Childs
09-03-2010, 02:36 PM
Thanks, Allen, Anita and Roman.

Anita, I had no idea these berries had those little spikes until I decided to setup this shot. Those spikes are finally what decided the aperture that worked. Too big and only some of the spikes were in focus.Too small and the berries towards the back were just a little out of focus and looked bad.

Roman, I setup this shot with perfect overcast skies but as soon as I was ready to shoot, the sun came out. :( I'll give a shot at toning down the BG.